Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HK general information.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: HK general information. Reply with quote

Hola!

I am a teacher from Mainland China. I need to go to HK on a visa run. When I moved from Taiwan to the Mainland, I went to the HK airport to a kiosk in the middle of the airport to get a 3 month travel visa. Does anyone know the company name and their hours of operation?

Oh well, I am in HK, might as well stay a day or two. I want to do some big clothes shopping. I am a rotund (YES FAT) man about 5'10, close to 300 lbs, where can I get some clothing? Where can I get a cheap, but not sleazy room for the night? I have heard of Chungking mansions before, how are they? I would like to go to a fun HK neighborhood and go exploring an evening, where would I go?

Any help would be appreciated.

SENOR
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senor,
The CHUNGKING MANSIONS is in Kowloon, in NATHAN RD., no. 44-56. It is 8 highrises of 26 floors, each with dozens of guesthouses. I strongly recommend you go to Block A or BLock B, as the other ones have a homogenous ethnic mix (either from the Indian subcontinent or mainly from Muslim countries or Africa).
Nearby you will find travel agents that get you a tourist or business visa:
In BLock A or B (forgot which one), go to TRAVELLER HOSTEL on the top floor. Next to it is a travel agent who does visas. Don't believe he is bad.
PHOENIX is in Nathan Rd., no. 96, just 7 minutes north on the same side of Nathan rd. as CHUNGKING MANSIONS. It is on the 7th floor. Business visas are hasslefree to get in one day, 700 HK dollars.
There also is JAPAN TRAVEL in the vicinity.

I do not know if you are going to like CHUNGKING MANSIONS - pretty croweded, many crooks, and at night high potential for fisticuffs. GOod Indian and Nepalese restaurants, though.

In the same road, just two hundred meters north, one street past the HOLIDAY INN GOLDEN MILE, you find MIRAMAR TOWER, and in it GARDEN HOSTEL on the 3rd floor. Dorm beds go for 60 dollars. HAs a nice verandah!

On HK island, I would recommend the YOUTH HOSTEL on Mt. Davis. Very beautiful, peaceful, but a distance away from Kowloon.

Big-size clothes: I suggested SOGO in Causeway Bay, but someone perhaps a little more knowledgeable about these matters suggested the free market in STANLEY, that is on the south side of HK Island.
Dunno if you can cover so many places in just one day!
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chungking Mansions is a bit grim. If it's a short trip only and you want to see HK at its best, I'd recommend you stay at the Salisbury YMCA in Tsim Sha Tsui. Ask for a harbour view room...it'll cost you about US100 a night but it's worth it. (In any case accomodation, in HK is always expensive, you will pay US40 for a cardboard box..so might as well splash out).
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco,
good suggestion! Just want to add that the YMCA in Salisbury also has DORM BEDS in four-bed rooms (with shower en-suite) that cost sensibly less, around 180 HK$!
The YWMCA is a great place to be! And, Senor, there is also a CTS on the corner of Nathan Rd., Peking Rd, where you can get your visa and a ticket!
Just 300 meters from the YMCA!
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger is right...you can stay in fairly cheap accomodation at the Y if you're on a budget. But I still say spend at least one night in a harbour view room and ask for 12th floor and up. You get a marvellous view of the HK skyline and Victoria harbour for about 100US. Next door at the Peninsula you pay 500US for the same view. You only live once.
Bertrand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcoregano wrote:
Chungking Mansions is a bit grim.

Great place to score hash and grass though. Smile Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: