Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German in Brazil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: German in Brazil Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows or has been to the cities in Brazil where the people speak German? I was wondering where these cities are, so if you have been there let me know!!!

Thanks!!!
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blumenau (in Santa Catarina state) has German speakers, probally the most in the country... it has the 2nd largest Oktoberfest in the world... if that says anything. I went there several years ago and in the downtown area the building even had German type fronts. One other city to look into is Joinville.... it is also in Santa Catarina state and I have heard there is also a large German community.
I hope that helps.

~Nomad Americana
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any jobs in Blumenau? What is the city like? Just curious. I was thinking about going there.
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nice. Quite small by Latin standards. It is about 1 hour from the coast. I was there with aboiut 12 Argentines... and they informed me it is a great place to by linens... which wasn't really of importance to me. Needless to say, it is a shopping destination for tons of Argentines and Uruguayans. I honestly don't know if there is a need for English teachers per se in Blumenau, since it is small and most tourists are NOT English speaking.
The nearest city that I would think has a need or large potential need for English teachers would be Florianopolis... about 1 hour from Blumenau. I say this because it tends to be a tourist destination for more and more English speaking tourists... for surfing and vacation. It is a larger city and more large businesses are located there.
Another posibility... though a bit in land is Curitiba. I know foreign tourism is big there... due to the urban planning of the city and there are MANY English schools there.
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for and if you are flexible.
samizinha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Blumenau for a year... a lot of people can speak German like they would speak English- as a second language. There was a city close by called "Pomerode" and it was labeled as the most German city in Brazil- also spotless! Blumenau itself is sort of a caracture for Germany, it has the facade but the people there are as Brasilian as they are in Recife or Rio...
I taught at an English school in Blumenau for six months, it was called "CCBEU". A popular place was "Wizard"... in fact, there were quite a few schools there for a place to small in Brasil. This was a loooong time ago though!
Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: