Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books & things- have I got enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leetrefz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Books & things- have I got enough? Reply with quote

I have the azar grammar workbook, oxford's practical guide to english usage, 5 min activities for esl book, another activity book, dictionary & thesaurus. In addition to these what other resources do ya think I should bring to China? last time I went the school said they'd provided it all. This time I'm stocking right the hell up. Thanks for any input!
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: good question Reply with quote

Dear leetrefz:

As I was reading your good question, and pondering the lack of replies Shocked , I was reminded of the problems we all face when choosing what kinds of learning materials to 'stock up on' for that next EFL gig in Country X.

Two thoughts came to mind:

First, it is seldom discussed but important to remember that each country of the world has its own unique preference ... when it comes to teaching either the Oxford style (King's English) from England, or the American style.

Good teachers, of course, will teach both variations (as I do) to the extent that that's possible, but the individual school (or country) will have a tendency towards one style or the other when it comes to the main textbooks used in class. This 'leaning' toward one style or the other is often based on which kinds of standardized proficiency tests are used in a given country; e.g. IELTS (based on Oxford English) or TOEFL (based more on American-style English).

Here in Russia, for example, textbooks and grammar references based on Oxford English are the rule. It is very rare to find any American-style books in a Russian classroom. Hence ... knowing this would be an important factor BEFORE you go shopping for books and stuff.

And that brings me to point #2: For this particular question, it would probably be smart to repost your question on the China forum [if you haven't already?] since the posters already living in China will know what's best to bring, and maybe what things are particularly hard to find in China.

There's no sense in weighing down your luggage with the wrong stuff, right? Cool

Anyway, since I have never worked in China, I'm afraid that's the best advice I can give you. Good luck ... and

Best wishes,
keNt
Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Chinese books Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't answer, but I don't know enough about the question.

China prefers the American style of English - whatever that is. (Texas? Alabama? New York? New Orleans? Hawaii?) I once - I kid you not - took flak from my Chinese team teacher (in a part time job) over my pronunication of "about." Yes, I'm a Canadian.

Your book list sounds good to me. I wish I had an azar or two right now ....

I don't trust the Chinese textbooks too much because, well, many of them have Chinese all through them. What I mean is a lot of stuff gets translated into Chinese in the book - so if you read Chinese you can pretent you understand the English. Some (esp books I see for converational schools), but not all.

Some books here are okay. The writing book my uni provided was adequate (if a bit difficult and lacking in good examples).

Some of the more well off areas (Shanghai/Beijing/Guangzhou+everything south of there) will probably have a decent selection of textbooks, and you can always order things.

That's all the help I can give.
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know your "azar", although it sounds great to me! Importan t thing, what are you going to teach? This is the question, and once that is settled we can discuss what kind of books you might profitably bring along.

Meanwhile, let me agree with WOlf on two points:

- Most textbooks in Chinese classrooms are bilingual, which is a mjaor reason why your students are not independent enough to communicate with you in English effectively. Take NEW CONCEPT ENGLISH: It is a 3 decade old series of materials that teach vocabulary and grammar in a very homeopathic manner. However, the versions printed in China have more than two times as much print as their English only versions in other parts of the world - because first of all, they have a list of vocables going with every lesson, followed by a verbatim translation of every text. No wonder Chinese students cannot communicate with you effectively in English - they must be talked to in a dual manner, English AND Chinese!

- Preference for American English: True, but on the wane. Until a few years ago, China's education system was truly threatened by an Americanisation. Everybody was studying to pass the TOEFL test. This has changed somewhat recently, with IELTS making serious inroads now, and British/Australian English being accepted.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Triple threat Reply with quote

Dear Roger,
" Until a few years ago, China's education system was truly threatened by an Americanisation. "
Well, it's good to know the playing field is being leveled and that now China's educational system is starting to be threatened by Britishization and Australianization as well.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: