Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, what's your feeling on this new forum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: So, what's your feeling on this new forum? Reply with quote

We have been posting only fairly recently (a month or so?) on this newly created forum. It was designed on the basis of several people urging Dave Sperling to provide a separate area for people to post their comments for fear of getting flamed by the ogres who lurk out there and find general or naive comments so distasteful.

Personally, I didn't vote for the creation of this forum, but I have tried to contribute to it. Professionally, as always.

However, it seems to me that the number of snide remarks, insidious comments, and outright lambasting are on the rise. If I were a newbie, I'd have second thoughts about posting here.

Anyone else have a comment?
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of the forum is sound.

I think anyone who reads and follows `Before you post` comments and, I would add, reads some Job Journal entries first should be able to post without fear.

To be honest my feelings are starting to swing the other way. If you start a `Where is the best place to teach?` thread without opening a Lonely Planet or spending some time reading the boards first you get what you deserve. If you read before you post you should be treated fairly.

T
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Worthwhile Reply with quote

Dear Glenski,
I like it ( the forum, that is ). Before it got started by R, I did mention that there'd be no way to keep out the " sharks ", and that's proved to be the case. Still, I think it's reduced their incidence somewhat. At least it positively attracts those who've been in the field a while and who are willing to offer some advice without jumping all over posters for what might be seen as naive questions. So, on balance, I'd say it's a worthwhile addition.
Regards,
John

Last edited by johnslat on Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Newbie. Yes, it's true. And I've probably asked a couple of questions that seemed obvious or stupid to others. But all in all, I've found this forum really valuable and haven't been flamed even once. When I joined Dave's a couple months ago I had tons of questions related to getting started in the field. But I was too intimidated to post right off because everyone here seemed so...cynical? I definitely think the Newbie forum, while not flame-proof, has a kinder, gentler tone.

So thank you to all who have provided your wise and patient advice! Please continue to do so, and try not to get too frustrated by the "where should I go?" questions Wink
Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Not bad, I thought Reply with quote

So far, so good. I did vote for this forum. Some posts that I think belong to the newbie field are still straying into other areas. But I think that considering it's short existance, it's doing fine so far.

I urge newbies to post here! Read the guidelines and ask your questions within said guidelines! The absolute worst thing that could happen is someone writes you an unpleasant message! You're more than likely to get several helpful responses for every flame.

This is just an idea - I'll throw it out as I thought of it and couldn't have the final say on it anyway - but maybe mods could run a tighter ship here? We all know this is the shallow end of the pool, so to speak, so maybe it might be okay to be more intolerant of "splashing" the other swimmers.

Only a thought.

Also remember: how many of us were wise grizzled old geezers at the age of 22 - 23 (as most uni grads/newbies will be)? I wasn't. I'm still not. If someone has never left his/her home country before, or belongs to the "Canadain who has seen only the US" group or some such variation, then that person will simply have a different viewpoint of "over there" than those of us who are "over there." It isn't their "fault!" Don't forget their perspective!

Another thought: Dave could get a spell checker in here.... Wink
cheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski,

I also think this forum was a good idea. It's true that there are "trolls" or "flamers" (I dont' know what the correct terms are) perusing the forum but they're usually the same ones who do the excessive flaming in the other forums. What I'm trying to say is: They're names are recognizable and can easily be avoided.

I also think that since posters know that this is a forum for new teachers, there is a larger amount of tolerance for questions deemed "stupid".

I did vote to have this forum created and have benifited from some of the questions "newbies" have asked.

Cheryl
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the benefit is psychological--it relieves the anxiety new posters feel about "looking or sounding dumb." I think people with more experience should hold back negative comments since this forum purports to encourage the naive to seek help. Anyone annoyed with a foolish question here hardly belongs in the teaching profession since patience is one of the key virtues of a good teacher, in my opinion. I think new teachers should be applauded and encouraged because it is not the most financially rewarding profession. The problem is not the "newbies," it's the intolerance of the "oldies."
xnihil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf, I absolutely agree that there should be more rigourous moderation here in the newbie forum. The problem with the flamers is that they often tend to derail the topic into a debate about flaming.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I think this forum is a great idea for newbies to get their feet wet without any fear of having their toes bitten off.
No matter how innocent the question,this is the forum to ask it.The majority of us "seasoned professionals" will try to answer their questions as best we can,no matter how strange or "stupid" the question is.
I wish that this board had been available when I first entered the efl teaching world.Oh,the wild and silly questions that I could have asked back then.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: The Missing R Reply with quote

But where's the instigator, the sire, the begettor, the founder of this new forum? He whose brainchild this is. Where's R? ( And please don't tell me - between Q and S ). We haven't heard from him for quite some time. R, where R you?
Regards,
John
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:
Rob is very busy at the moment with "other" things and will return asap.

I was talking to him via email recently.

Cheers. Cool
Cyna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn�t much useful information on the newbie forum. What do you expect? How can people who have never taught abroad give advice to one another? Actually just by reading postings on the other forums, and by yes, occasionally getting flamed has been the only way I have learned any useful information about this process
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: newbie forum Reply with quote

I appreciate this forum very much.

Sure, we're new here.

But inevitably, some more "experienced" souls pop in and answer our questions. Wink
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There isn�t much useful information on the newbie forum. What do you expect? How can people who have never taught abroad give advice to one another?

Cyna,
Perhaps you misunderstand the title, goal and function of this section of the ESL Cafe. Newbies have often been flamed and persecuted with their questions. This section was made so they could post in an isolated area with less fear of such responses. The responses, by the way, come from us veterans, not other newbies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: