Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Milano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Working in Milano Reply with quote

I have seen lots of posts saying how expensive Milan is to live in. There are very few figures however. If I want to go there how much should I be looking to get a month and what sort of price can I expect to pay for somewhere to live? Are there any other costs that are above what I would expect them to be?
avahanian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Working in Milano Reply with quote

John wrote:
I have seen lots of posts saying how expensive Milan is to live in. There are very few figures however. If I want to go there how much should I be looking to get a month and what sort of price can I expect to pay for somewhere to live? Are there any other costs that are above what I would expect them to be?

hi John,

Milan is one of Italy's most expensive cities, therefore the rent prices will be higher than in most other cities.

The price you pay for rent will of course differ, depending on which area you live in, but an Australian chap I know tried searching for a room in a shared flat (stanza in condivisione or camera singola) and found that he had to pay around 400 euro per month

As for how much you could expect to earn, I'm afraid I can't help you on that one

But this is a good place to post your messages as thousands of people read these forums every day

best wishes
Arin
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether you are still looking for information on the cost of living in Milano, John, and all I have to offer is hearsay and impressionistic knowledge of the prices involved, but I concur with the previous poster in saying that accomodation will be a great drain upon your earnings. A couple of years ago just before the introduction of the Euro when I showed up in Milano without having booked accomodation the otherwise helpful official at the tourist office laughed at me when I said I wanted to find some digs for no more than 30, 000 lire! She told me that the piu basso was 50, 000. If that is any indication on the general cost of accomodation in Milano, one can expect to pay a premium in this the most expensive of Italian cities. One ought also be aware of the possibility of expectation in having to travel from one company to another and so this may influence the selection of one's accomodation. It's all very well having a reasonably priced place in which to stay (such as for the 400 Euro quoted by the previous poster) but one needs to be cognisant of getting to potentially distant work locations. Buona fortuna!
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid the equivalent of about 400 euro for a roon in a nice shared flat near Stazione Centrale. There are cheaper places, but the best way to find one is the same as in any other city - you have to have contacts.

Remember that location is, in my opionion, not all that important in Milano. True, as an EFL teacher you'll probably be travelling a lot from company to company but the transport in Milano is excellent. Just try to find somewhere near a Metro station and you're sorted!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: