Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The very vexing (taxing?) tax question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: The very vexing (taxing?) tax question Reply with quote

Just to remind some of you out there that the tax authorities in China are interested in you!

This may be of special interest to MOONLIGHTERS and FREELANCERS, in short those that are working in a grey zone.

Nationally, we stand to pay a tax if our income exceeds 4000 RMB. Whether this national rule is locally applied or not is another matter!

In my jurisdiction, it is not UNIFORMLY applied. It does exist, though!

For instance, in public schools teachers' salaries are routinely subjected to a tax cut, and they get a receipt.

In other schools, especially private ones, the authorities don't collect the tax.
I have had several jobs over the years here as a part timer, and I have never been asked to pay towards the public coffers. However, recently I was hired by a foreign-owned business to train their staff.

A complication arose: Who is going to pay the tax now?

Two options:
- Either the company HIRES me (but would have to get approval from the PSB to do so). Relatively unlikely!
- Alternative: I work on my own, but that is not legal as the PSB would have to see my business licence!
Therefore, I need a LETTER from my employer stating that I have the permission to work extra!
This is NOT legal according to national guidelines, and my school cannot do this!

Therefore, I am going to be in a legal vacuum.

It is not solved yet, but the way I see it is going to be handled is that they will "negotiate" with the local PSB office to get a special deal!

I will pay 20% on my saloary!
arioch36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Henan the Bureau sent out an official letter to all the school (or at least the ones who have the legal right to hire foreigners) warning against allowing us to work two jobs.
I think much of their laxness in enforcement has nothing to do with "guanxi" or relationships private schools might have, and more to do with laxness and ineffeciency, something that I think is slowly ending as China fights hard to join this wonderful "modern world"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: