Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things to take with

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Things to take with Reply with quote

I'm about to embark on my first teaching post abroad. I'm preparing myself by getting together a collection, in an album, of photos of my friends/family... 1. For sentimental reasons 2. I thought it would be nice to show the students where I come from etc

Is there anything anyone recommends that they either didn't take with, and wish they had, or took with and was glad they did?

The stranger the better! Wink
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Well,Where Are You Going? Reply with quote

It would be helpful to know exactly where you are going,and then we could suggest some things. Smile
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some instant food packets from home are always nice. Books to get you through the boredom of (gasp) no English TV! A new white shirt (still in the package) a new bra(still in the package) new stockings(still in the package)as you never know when you might have an emergency and probably won't want to try to run out and go shopping in your new language your first weeks there.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnie I disagree, I got by without a new bra(still in the package) and new stockings(still in the package).
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: viva la Suisse! Reply with quote

Dear minnie:

Take along a Swiss Army knife. Razz You know ... the kind with toenail clippers; a file, so you can break out of your school when the evil director locks you into overtime classes; a corkscrew, so you can open that bottle and drink yourself silly after the big 'escape' etc ...

Seriously, it's the one thing during the past 14 years of living abroad [other than my wretched old body] that has survived intact.

Best wishes,
kEnt
Celeste

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, PanamaTeacher, the next thing you are going to tell me is that you also got by without a 6month supply of feminine hygene products!??!!! Some people are willing to risk it...
Laughing
minnie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanamaTeacher thanks for disagreeing with me but i don't remember saying anything about bras in packets Laughing (actually bars don't normally come in packets in UK!!!)

Celeste: Not really a stocking girl myself, but thanks for the advice. White shirt in packet? where do you come from that has everything in packets??? or are we missing something here in London?

I was thinking about buying a Swiss Army knife and taking with a torch for some reason Confused

Looks like i'll be off to Poland (not confirmed yet, but more than likely) and i know you can buy stuff out there etc. but maybe I was thinking of personal stuff or things that take time to organise (eg I started collecting pictures from magazines/logos/labels (just in case...not sure just in case what, but thought it might come in handy)

I'm sure the IH school is well stocked but i like to be prepared (should have been in the brownies!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnie
Get yourself an Argos catalogue. Pictures for every occasion. It's a bit heavy so it's a good idea to cut it up before you go.
Celeste

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnie- I just shop at really cheap places, I guess. (Actually, the white shirts are generally for my husband- and do come in packages. Bras often come boxed or packaged in Canada, but I suppose not if you go to expensive lingerie shops.)

I think if you are going to a school that you think has a lot of EFL textbooks, you might want to find out from a current teacher which omes they have. I travel everywhere with my own teaching "library" and I have found that it comes in really handy to be able to supplement the often stale curriculum.

I like to bring 1cent stamps from my home country to give to students. Cheap, light, of great interest to children and adults. I also bring photos of things as well as people. Sort of like a day in life of me scrapbook. This is me in my kitchen. This is my car parked in front of my house. My office in Canada. My cat. This sort of thing can give students a better idea of what their teacher's foreign culture is like.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always show my students a map of my home country so they know where I came from,also a flag and coins and paper money from home.They always find these items interesting and they are easy to carry in your luggage.Magazines and newspapers are also a good idea.
minnie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas! Money, stamps, flags etc sound obvious now, but theres so many things to think about (contacting my bank, sorting out visa, insurance etc) that you mind goes into overload!!! I'll have to start collecting things together...

Katy, An Argos catalogue is a great idea, saves time looking though magazines when its all there in 1 book Wink
Debalky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish i would have taken a picture book that describes some North American animals (and african too). Students (Chinese) are always interested in animals. I think they are kinda envious because they ate most of theirs out of existence. Try to describe a buffalo or moose in your class, you become real stupid looking, real fast
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeste--I think it's good to take anything that it would embarrass you to buy. I went to a local drugstore, and I couldn't find protection, if you get my drift. Almost everyone in stores is a woman, and I hate to ask a woman for personal things. So I finally went up to a saleslady and I asked her in a low whisper. She had no idea what I wanted. So I said para hombre hoping she would get my drift. Instead she pointed me to the security guard, so I went to him and explained with a lot of hand motions what I needed. Then this guy yelled across the store full of ladies EL QUIERE PRESERVATIVOS!!! Everyone turned around and stared at me horrified at my depravity. So I left that store and went to another armed with the correct word. A truly humiliating experience for a 40 year old man.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanamaTeacher: I thought I would p my pants reading that post!!! You are a hard one, for sure, but your softer side shines through now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: