Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I am in China and working. I am on a 3 month tourist visa at the moment. My school has applied for and received a foreign experts certificate for me and they were going to fly me to Hong Kong to get my Z-visa. They have been advised by "the government" ( the department that issued the foreign experts certificate) that I cannot get the Z-visa in Hong Kong but instead have to go home to Australia (Sydney, Canberra and Perth have Chinese embassies). My school will still do this if necessary but it would be better for both parties if I can get it in Hong Kong.
What are your thoughts/experiences? It would be a bugger to go to HK and then not be able to get my visa there.

Thanks
Tony
Aphrodite#5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Medical exams? Reply with quote

What's this about a medical exam when you get into the country? I am accepting a job in Zhejiang province. What exactly goes on in this medical exam?
Volodiya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aphrodite, there's quite a few comments about the experiences of our posters with the "in-country" med exam, on the following thread:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=4192
Mideatoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my Z Visa organized by my employer in GZ, 2 week after my arrival.
I had a 6 month only contract [heheheheeh]

Evidently I left after fulfilling my contract and was hired by a real employer one week later....
This last one transferred my visa to his account and renewed it twice later on...
I worked with a Z visa for 1 year 1/2.

Working now for the same employer, I came back yesterday from the PSB.
Great time, cool folks, actually one young officer spoke to me in 3 languages....

They changed my Z visa with a Resident Permit; BUT... they didn't give me back my little green book.
I only had back my pass. and my little red book.

Anything wrong?
tw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mideatoo wrote:
They changed my Z visa with a Resident Permit; BUT... they didn't give me back my little green book.
I only had back my pass. and my little red book.

Anything wrong?

Nothing is wrong. As of late last year they began phasing out the green booklets and replacing them with a sticker in your passport. Many people like me who were on year-long contracts were not aware of this change.

I wish the official at the airport could've let me kept my green booklet as a souvenir.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mideatoo wrote
Quote:
I had a 6 month only contract [heheheheeh]

A contract of six months, or longer, meets one of the requirements for issuance of a Z visa. A contract would have to be for less than six months to fail to meet this test.
Mideatoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! TW

Volodiya what?
tw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mideatoo wrote:
Volodiya what?

Quote:
A contract of six months, or longer, meets one of the requirements for issuance of a Z visa. A contract would have to be for less than six months to fail to meet this test.

Translation: you have to have a contract that is at least 6 months in length in order for you to be able to qualify for residence permit.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, tw, that's not what I said.

mideatoo wrote:
Quote:
I had my Z Visa organized by my employer in GZ, 2 week after my arrival. I had a 6 month only contract [heheheheeh]

I may have misunderstood what he wrote, but I thought he meant there was something irregular in his having gotten a Z visa, with a contract of only six months. My point was that it wasn't irregular, that a contract must be for a minimum of six months, to support an application for a Z visa.

If I misunderstood this part of his post, I'm sorry for the digression.
Mideatoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheheh - Thank you for the clarification�
deezy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the new rulings, teachers can come in on an F visa, still get their residents permit, but not the experts certificate until they have been in the country working for 3-6 months, after which they get their experts certificate IF they fit the criteria (degree, etc). Otherwise they continue to work on the F visa. This ruling is so recent that few FAOs even know about it, and some have decided to keep with the old ruling until it suits them to change. Even if the teacher has a one year contract.
tw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deezy wrote:
Under the new rulings, teachers can come in on an F visa, still get their residents permit, but not the experts certificate until they have been in the country working for 3-6 months, after which they get their experts certificate IF they fit the criteria (degree, etc). Otherwise they continue to work on the F visa.

So, are you saying that people can sign one-year contracts and work with a F visa for 10 months?
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw, Deezy is simply reporting what she is being told by the authorities in her region, as she understands what she's being told. The authorities there are in the process of changing the way they handle work and visa related issues and they are letting her know of their thinking as the changes are implemented, and tested.

There is no general principle to be gleaned from this.

Each school must heed the authorities in the region where they're located when it comes to qualifying their teachers to work, in China. Regional differences are the norm, not the exception (as you've sometimes mentioned, here). That's how I'd view what's happening there, at this time.
deezy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right Volodiya... this is what is happening in Shandong. The new teacher gets a 6 month F visa, even though we sign a 12 month contract, and then the F gets extended at 6 months.
deezy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

We have three new teachers coming out from England, America and Egypt respectively, over the next week. The first has her flight on Sunday.

We instructed her to apply for an F visa (as WE had been instructed by Jinan FAO). The Chinese Embassy in London has catagorically refused to give her an F, saying there is no way she can work in China under an F Visa.

I'm off to Australia tomorrow so I'm leaving it to the Chinese to sort this one out. Further updates to follow....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 3 of 29

Jump to: