Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL or ESOL - any difference in Singapore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendymcdonald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: TEFL or ESOL - any difference in Singapore? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are different schools in Singapore for those immigrant students wanting to learn English for daily life (ESOL), and those students just wanting to learn the language or to pass exams or get into university (TEFL)?
I know there are plenty of people who reckon there's no difference, but as I've taught TEFL and ESOL in London I know which one I prefer and am thinking there must be a similar difference in need over there, but from what I can see I imagine the students are mixed up in TEFL schools. What are your experiences in this Singaporean teachers?
Thanks for any info!
k1w1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you are referring to are langauge schools versus international schools (school aged children) and major institutions (like British Council). If this is what you mean (ie: generally small and fly-by-night school aimed a short courses for foreigners OR immigrants or long-term visitors and a reputable company), then yes, there is quite a difference.

I am impressed that you have worked this out: we have learnt the hard way. The good news: there are decent teaching jobs and nice places to work. There are also nasty places who couldn't care less about teachers, staff or students.
wendymcdonald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: good schools Reply with quote

So which are the good TEFL schools? Any chance of saving me the hassle of trailing around all of them in search of a decent job?!
I know the British Concil has a good reputation but the hours seem totally antisocial. Is that the same in all the TEFL schools?
Should be arriving in a few weeks, ready to get to the yellow pages and wander around with CVs but names of some decent schools would really help!
RobSg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Good schools Reply with quote

My recommendation is for you to teach at the British Council. It really is a very professional organization, great reputation, and lots of resources. As a new teacher (the junior one), you will most likely have the more undesirable teaching hours for a while.
There are a lot of very good language schools, but make it tactfully clear that you'd prefer not to have morening and late afternoon/night classes on the same day. There should be no reason that a well run language school cannot keep this type of scheduling to a minimum.

RobSg
wendymcdonald

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: unrealistic hopes? Reply with quote

Actually I'm more concerned about teaching at weekends than anything else. I'm comign to Singapore to because my partner has work there and whilst the British Council has a lot to recommend it I don't want to end up working all the hours my partner isn't and seeing nothing of him. Apart from the hours, it's definitely the ideal place - any idea how many months the new teachers find themselves on the crappiest hours?
And any chance for some more names of other quality establisments?
ta
RobSg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Singapore Reply with quote

Wendy-
Most language schools will want you to sign a contract before they consider issuing you an employment pass. This webpage --http://www.worldwide.edu/ci/singapore/flschools_adult.html has most of the schools for international students, and after you arrive here, it is best to plan on just walking around and visiting the schools. This is the busiest time of the year, and you will definitely have some schools interested. However, part-time work is not really an option, as the school will insist on a contract and full time work.

RobSg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: