Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand TEFL Scam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reality

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Thailand TEFL Scam Reply with quote

Cool

No, Teacher can be legally employed in Thailand, unless they have a Legal Degree. So, why do the TEFL Scam boys, claim you can work as a Teacher once you have a TEFL Certificate?.

Are the Thai TEFL Scammers, just another bunch of deadbeat Thai Teachers, unable to make a decent living Teaching?.

Try and be honest, regarding your TEFL Courses. It may be hard, if you have spent a few years struggling as a 'Farang' in Thailand. But, you don't have to get into the Thai style of phony marketing.
Ted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add why I put this under a thread about Thailand scams.

This dude, who I'll call "I" said what he was doing illustrated the whole Bangkok teaching industry: here was a guy who couldn't last as a teacher earning his cash from teacher training companies he would never imagine attending, from schools who wouldn't hire him, and from teachers who he didn't want to associate with Very Happy COOL!

Cool TED Cool
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: sounds familiar Reply with quote

Typical Bangkok scammer. Sounds like an acquaintance of mine in Phnom Penh. Did he spend any time in Kampuchea?
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: i know that man Reply with quote

Yes I know the guy--- must be him. His name is Ian, very jolly guy, remarkable sense of humor-- his parents are Cypriot Londoners, correct?
Drinks vodka and oraqnge juice into the wee hours, did a lot of dodgy telemarketing in Bangkok. Very amusing bloke. Say hi if you see him again, i owe him a round or two.[/list]
Ted

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: "Ian" Reply with quote

Might be the same dude. I don't recall him being particularly witty or jolly. Confused Just went on and on about not having a motorcycle and his lack of a social life in China. I was told by a mate at his co. he got his work permit cancelled and is back to Thailand due to his search for 'nightlife' in the Middle Kingdom Cool

I'm off to Thailand in August for holiday. Cool

Very Happy TED Very Happy TOKYO Very Happy
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well have a good time, me old china Very Happy
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reality Reply with quote

Yes, that's true for the most part it's hard to get a work permit without a degree, but not impossible. As long as TEFL providers (like us) let the students know this I can't see what the problem is? Most teachers here (read 60% +) do not have a work permit either because they don't have a degree, they don't want a work permit as you are financially worse off with tax payments, or because the school they work for is already at it's quota of work permits.

When I interview people for our TEFL course I make them aware of this situation....no scams here at Text and Talk.
ajarn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last I heard Ian had accepted a raji gig upcountry somewhere. Looks like he's come full circle, I wonder how long he"ll last this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: