Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Band 6 Tests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arioch36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Band 6 Tests Reply with quote

Who can give me the scoop on Band 6 and writing ( I hate going over writing papers, I spend way too much time....helpful advice there also welcomed)
I know Band 6 has a essay section, I think I know how to prepare them. It is part of what I would teach anyways. Does anyone know if the mutliple choice is based on grammar, or what. For the listening and reading comprehension the students are on their own.
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a year in Shenzhen Uni, there Band six was strictly for final year students. Most could not cope, but then SZ Uni is not exactly a high flyer
Maltezer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - can't help on Band 6 but I believe, though I'm not certain, the essay writing is similar to Band 4 (also known as TEM 4 - Test for English Majors 4) which I prepare certain of my students for each year. The Band 4 writing consists of a 150 word essay on a general topic such as how travel broadens the mind, what can be done to keep healthy. I find that students ignore the prompt which gives a clue to what is expected in the essay so I spend a lot of time getting them to read and understand instructions. The Chinese writing teachers say the students only need to give their viewpoint; however, I try to get my students to include both sides of the argument in any essay as this will get them more marks. In Band 4, 12-20 marks are a pass.

I suggest you ask for a translation of the syllabus (I did this for Band 4) and discovered that students can be asked to describe a graph or table (though in practice this has never appeared on an exam so far) and so now I do a few lessons on this.

I can recommend 'Insight into IELTS' by Vanessa Jakeman and Clare McDowell for essay structure for anyone having to teach essay writing. The IELTS essays are 250 words, but the structure is the same and the progression in this book has helped me a lot. The Chinese edition costs RMB49.90.

Try to get copies of original Band 6 papers to see exactly what is required. If you buy books or packets of 'old papers', they may not give the exact wording - I found this with Band 4 and Band 8.
arioch36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maltezer...yes, I totally agree about the essay portion. And it is the same on band 6. I don't teach to the test, but if I can help my students do better by giving them some pointers. And teaching them how to argue/debate, for oral and writing, I find to be important and necessary.

So I know that there is also a multiple choice section that I think involves writing/grammar, I am not sure what the emphasis is.

Most true English majors are not required to take Band 6 (though they should be), but I am teaching at a three year college that will move to a four year college soon. The grade 2 students take Band 4 or 6. I am their writing teacher. I don't teach Band 6 writing but English writing (well i try...I am probably better at teaching oral english and reading)Most schools I have been to have foreigners teach writing and oral. At my first college we taught writing, oral, extensive reading, lit., journalism, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: