Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Censorship on other forums
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Tealit bogus?
yes
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
no
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Censorship on other forums Reply with quote

I was wondering what Taiwan-related forums are pretty good about maintaining a level of behavior on their message boards while avoiding outright censorship. I only post to ESL Cafe because of its fair hand, but I've notied today that - for a reason I have yet to fathom - I am 'banned' from Tealit. Ironically Ihave never posted there in my life. I only read it (it's usually 99% crap and 1% info, but that 1% is worth reading), but I find such "banning' for no reason insensitive, and frankly: insane. I am the only person who uses my computer, so I'm stymied, but I know that I won't be reading it now (I can't!). Co-workers warned me about that site and one told me it was run by the government and that they had been censored for giving adivce while flame wars are allowed to exist.

What sites are good? I like ESL cafe, but for all of the talk on Taiwan that should exist, its Taiwan message board seems thin. I'd like to be able to have multiple sources for reading posts.

Thanks for letting me ask (moderators) and allowing free expression (even though I NEVER posted on Tealit I got censored from reading it: just a message of "you have been banned form this forum").
Okami

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Another good forum and why you were not banned Reply with quote

segue.com.tw is a great board. It does have occasional flame wars, especially when a "fake ABC" or angry Taiwanese guy gets on the board and starts harassing the foreigners with outragious accusations. They even have a game club meeting on Sunday afternoons. Currently the site is down due to technical problems, but the depth of topics and responses is very deep.

tealit.com used to be better. I think their attitude changed after they started charging for their services of finding a teacher. Try to look for a teacher sometime and see how much they charge, it's quite pricey. As far as being banned, what normally happens is someone is banned in your area by their ISP number. Since your ISP number changes sometimes when you log on with ADSL, you get the banned message that should of went to the person who should be banned. I don't really understand why tealit bans people. Sadly as far as jobs, tealit is still the place to go.

CYA
Okami
EOD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: In Defense of Tealit...What? Reply with quote

I know their really is no defense for the administrators of Tealit acting in such an idiotic manner. I have been banned on that particular forum several times myself, however it is pretty easy to get around. There is a way to alter your IP address so that the program you are accessing will read a different number every time you log on. You may also want to delete you temporary internet files and try logging on again. I too have heard that Tealit is a government run site. I don't think that is the case. Government sites are similar to Government institutions. They will be run very badly, by people who have no ambitions besides finding a way to make money thrue abuse of their positions.
That site is pretty well run and I have seldom seen it crash. As many people as they upset over there, I can imagine they get hacked daily. My guess is that it is run by an expat with a background in computer science. The way they stay anonymous means that they are in direct competition with local businesses, offering the same services. If the person running that site were well known, his or her business would likely be appropriated by the local competition with government backing.
They must offer a service that will accomodate their customers and edit content in such a way as to appease the local government censors. The local government has an agency whose single purpose in life is to bar the local servers from access to foreign web sites they feel are undesirerable.
It is a Taiwanese business, money first second and third, end of story.

Last edited by EOD on Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: the message board "censorship" issue Reply with quote

I think that the day when people actually provide their real names and locations, and possibley membership fees to message board forums, will complaints of "censorship" and being "banned" and boo-hooing about "freedom of speech" actually have some merit.
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EOD wrote:
The local government has an agency whose single purpose in life is to bar the local servers from access to foreign web sites they feel are undesirerable.

Are you serious? I know they do this in China, but I have never heard of it happening in Taiwan.
killian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems these days there are three big boards for our little corner of the esl world. dave's and segue are both great. both are a pleasure to read. both also require ID to log-in. tealit, on the other hand yet strive to pose as an "open" forum. anyone can throw their two cents in at anytime. yes, there are times when tealit can drive one crazy, as when legit responses are deleted for no obvious reason. the thing that burns me most is when they CHANGE the content of a message and leave no indication that non-authorized alterations have been incised. i've stopped using my name at tealit as there is no guarantee that what i type and what is posted shall stay identical. kinda scary, they are playing fast 'n loose with postings. the quality there has declined considerably. such is a shame, as truly open forums are to be cherished.

best wishes.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Links to ESl Forums Reply with quote

SSETT has an open forum where nearly anything goes. The only reason for post being deleted are too much profanity or advertising. Other than that, it is a totally open forum.
SSETT Open Forum (Non Profit, Non Goverment, Pro Teacher, Outspoken)
http://www.voy.com/113223/
Tealit.com Forum (For Profit, Censored, Top Local Site in Taiwan)
http://www.tealit.com/forum/index.php
Segue.com ( For Profit, Moderated, Political)
http://www.segue.com.tw/3/
EOD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Rebel Without a Clue Reply with quote

Tealit .com started charging for access to it's teacher information data base, after a certain Secret Society posted warnings all over the net.
Starting rumors about Tealit getting teachers deported by giving info on illegals, to the Local Foreign Affairs Police, isn't helping anybody.
It may have made it even more difficult for schools to find qualified teachers.
I for one have obtained one decent job through their site. It could have been more.
Nice going Aristotle!!!!
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
SSETT Open Forum (Non Profit, Non Goverment, Pro Teacher, Outspoken)
http://www.voy.com/113223/
Tealit.com Forum (For Profit, Censored, Top Local Site in Taiwan)
http://www.tealit.com/forum/index.php
Segue.com ( For Profit, Moderated, Political)
http://www.segue.com.tw/3/

Whether Tealit.com is the top local site is very arguable. It may be the most popular that doesn't make it the best. Segue is not a for profit site. It is run by volunteers.

I am sorry but I can't access SSETT. I guess the server is blocked in China.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Segue .com Reply with quote

Just because they don't pay the people who moderate their political bias into that site, does not mean it is a non profit site. As you can tell from the multiple crashes and perpetually delayed offering of there paid services, it is a Taiwanese run business. They are a commercial site and part of a web ring, centered around Oriented.com.
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another good forum and why you were not banned Reply with quote

Okami wrote:
segue.com.tw is a great board. It does have occasional flame wars, especially when a "fake ABC" or angry Taiwanese guy gets on the board and starts harassing the foreigners with outragious accusations. They even have a game club meeting on Sunday afternoons. Currently the site is down due to technical problems, but the depth of topics and responses is very deep.
CYA
Okami

I tried registering at segue but it wouldn't work. When will it be back to normal? I too was "banned" from Tealit for lurking and this has been for over a month. I never posted since there was nothing worth discussing, but some things were worth reading. I think Joe's right and a lot more funny business is going on there.
EOD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: What's Going on At Segue Reply with quote

I noticed that they have been having trouble with that site for some time. Anybody know when it will be back up?
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

segue.com.tw is up and running again although it is temporarily using the name forumosa.com. Contrary to what Aristotle says segue is not a cmmercial site and has no plans to become commercial. It was formerly oriented.org but oriented then split in two parts. One of which, oriented.com is a commercial site while segue is a non-commercial site.

Last edited by taiwan boy on Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
EOD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Do you have a link Reply with quote

I can't find that site, do you have a link?
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segue.com.tw can now be found at http://forumosa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: