Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy tales from Manchuria anybody??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzy Bear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Happy tales from Manchuria anybody?? Reply with quote

I am very interested in going north east, i have read loads about it and am keener than ever ( I have never seen real snow!!) but i have heard very, very few happy stories about working and living there. Can anyone tell me more about the real manchuria?? Some info on schools to talk to (or avoid) would be great as well as i refuse to go through an agency, i wanna do it all by myself.

Cheers
Ozzy Bear
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cold, dirty, and polluted, for the most part, although I've heard Dalian is nice. You'll see snow of all shades of color, from black to yellowish-grey, but really the winters are unbearably cold. It was bad enough here and I'm not even close to being NE. Not any colder than Canada or the US, but most places aren't heated well and you'll feel constantly cold for 4 months straight. I'm not quite so far north but some of the teachers I know in this town have reported that some of their students just returning to school have frostbite on their hands. Haerbin is usually around -15C for most of the winter.
It was heavily industrialized first by the Japanese and then by Lao Mao and is called the 'rust belt' for a good reason. Manchurian culture is interesting but you'll only see it occasionally and usually in a contrived manner. Many of us who came for 'Chinese culture' like myself were a bit disappointed. Even in an ancient and historic town like Luoyang, I rarely see anything 'cultural' in the way Westerners think of Chinese culture.
I don't know too much about the NE besides being really polluted and bleeding cold! Take some pictures of trees and wild animals before you come so you remember what it's like!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: