Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer's gone and the conkers are falling...mushroom time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Summer's gone and the conkers are falling...mushroom time Reply with quote

Ok!

So what happened to the summer this year?

Back to work and schools are full of pasty faced kids.

Conkers are three weeks late, tomatoes are way behind too.
let's hope the weather proves positive for growing conditions for the edible mushrooms this year.

When did you last see kids playing conkers????

What did you do for the summer? hands up all those who took a holiday.
Where?
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mention English summers, conkers and mushroom hunting or we'll all be jumping on the next plane home and the bottom really will fall out of the UK EFL market.

On second thoughts, just keep going on about the summers...
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mother nature was pre-occupied with the cricket.
Will.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? do you mean Jiminy Cricket
Will.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a wonderful day today, a crisp dry morning and sun struggling through the clouds then the rain started to struggle through as well
Ah summer! what a day that was..............well an afternoon actually from 3pm till 7 or 8 but still a good summer.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackberries have been good, but what I really want are some sloes to make sloe gin but the competition round here is fierce.

It's a lovely crisp Cox's morning here and I just hope it's not too bad at the weekend when we beat to windward over to Yarmouth for a few drinks.

Pity poor Will in The Great Wen....
Will.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackberies were prolific round here too, i found a new patch that had grown up close by...in a local park, long neglected...no one picked it not kids not adults the birds got it. plenty of damsons and plums too. No sloes, not popular in this part of the Wen. the occasional whiff of woodsmoke gives an indication of approaching winter days and time spent huddled up next to the fire in the snug of the pub though.
madeira

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damsons? Real ones?

I haven't had Damson jam for at least 20 years... there were some available in Winnipeg, but not in BC. Are there many trees in public areas? Or do farmers sell them, mostly?

Regarding wild fruit... Are there many homebrewing shops around? Places where you can buy different yeasts, supplies and equipment to make wine/beer/etc.? (Sorry, still in Japan and can't find much at all. I've been stuck with making ume-shu and anzu. Apparantly it's illegal to make over (3%?) alcohol at home.)

Mushroom hunting... What can an amateur hunt in Southern England? I'm only positive about puffballs and regular field mushrooms.

I'll be there soon, and I'm very interested in wild food and making preserves and booze!
Will.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! real ones.
like myself most people tend to keep the location of their mushrooming area quiet, same for other collecting areas too. the old saying abpout golf " a nice walk, ruined " is the same for collecting wild food ecept it is a nice walk, planned. Having an objective in mind for the walk or cycle ride in the country means never leaving home without a bag. Just in case. Over the year there are certain routes for different times of the year.
When you get here make some notes of likely areas for next year and take a note also of other people out "for a walk" who carry bags and which direction they come from.
home brewing is popular no problem to foind all the kit you need
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sometimes have Fly Agaric under the Silver Birch at the bottom of my garden!

Yesterday having a clear out of an outbuilding I found 23 bottles of homemade wine which must have been there at least 8 years. Made from vinifera grapes growing wild, and completely undrinkable!

Damsons can be wild or cultivated, crab apples are available, scrumping apples used to be a national sport, porcini, hedgehog fungus, chanterelles, morrels are all available but personally I haven't a clue (or the time) - but I know they're out there.

If it hadn't been quite so windy last weekend (qv) I'd have tried for Mackerel; nothing better when really fresh.

As for booze, Sloe gin aside, I normally go down the pub and make sure I have a decent pint of real ale. When I'm at a posh do and wearing a frock I go elegant and sip wine. Smile

Either way, don't worry, you'll find something to your taste.
The Ciderman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer's gone and the conkers are falling...mushroom tim Reply with quote

Will. wrote:
Ok!

So what happened to the summer this year?

Back to work and schools are full of pasty faced kids.

Conkers are three weeks late, tomatoes are way behind too.
let's hope the weather proves positive for growing conditions for the edible mushrooms this year.

When did you last see kids playing conkers????

What did you do for the summer? hands up all those who took a holiday.
Where?

Summer's back today - well here in Yorkshire it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: