Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reputable language schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stural

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reputable language schools Reply with quote

Would anyone mind posting the names and locations of dershanes in Istanbul (esp. commutable from Uskudar) that treat their staff fairly and pay on time?

Thanks,
stural
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that you'll get some good replies to this, but you can also look at the Turkey section of my Job Information Journal at:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo

Lots of info on Turkey.

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest dershanes to Uskudar are in Kadikoy (there are quite a few of them). I can't resist the temptation to use the new smiley faces to rate them based on what I have heard, and I welcome any corrections/disagreements, etc...

Smile English Time
Smile Interlang
Confused ILM
Embarassed Kariya
Sad New Line
Evil or Very Mad City of London College

I would take special care to avoid the last one there, in case the face wasn't enough. Here's the story of a COLC teacher..

Very Happy Arrow Smile Arrow Shocked Arrow Surprised Arrow Sad Arrow Mad

Take care out there..
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, J.B. -

I have to admit, you have to win the award for the most creative use of smiley faces at Dave's ESL Cafe! The reward is a free Cafe Latte at Starbucks if you ever make it Los Angeles! Very Happy

Peace.

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I hope to take you up on that someday. Take care, and keep up the good work..
stural

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Dershanes Reply with quote

That was cute! Always on the lookout for more opinions. Mind if i ask where you have worked and what your experience was with them?

Thanks! Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Turkey Reply with quote

I still think Turkey looks good. My experience has only been in Istanbul but it is an exciting city. I have not taught there but visited many times en route from home to the ME. Safer than most places with 12 million people.

Downside for me is that I could not support a family on what I would earn there.
Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the impressive smiley system of J.B. Clemence, I would rate ILM above Interlang for the experienced teacher. The pay package is better, and when I was working in Kadikoy, pay was repegged every 6 months at Interlang compared to every 3 months at ILM. (This is a major thing in Turkey.) Also ILM provided free accomodation, I don't think Interlang did (but I could be wrong or things could have changed.) However, ILM is not really the school to start at, if you have a bit of experience then your fine, but if you're new to EFL don't expect any help. Basically, you're left to your own devices academically; hence, maybe not as easy for the newcomer.

Last edited by Stephen on Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Language schools Reply with quote

Try the English Centre in Osmanbey. I worked in a number of scools in Istanbul. The EC is the most professional place to work. I know it's not the side of the city that you want but the ferry service is good. It only takes 20 minutes then from there it's a quick dolmus ride to Osmanbey
stural

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: more on language schools Reply with quote

How about Kent English?
stural

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Berlitz in Istanbul Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been noticing that Berlitz is hiring a lot. Does anyone know if there's something "wrong" with them, so they can't hold on to their people? The salary looked good...

Thanks...

stural
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: franchise Reply with quote

Berlitz does not have a reputation as a caring employer. Like most franchises best avoid it.
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH INLINGUA ISTANBUL?
lclaroche

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Any web addresses? Reply with quote

Nice thread here, I really appreciate this information as I start to fantasize about my next departure. SO, I'm wondering, does anyone have any web addresses/URLs for any of these schools?

thanks!
Bogazicibaby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Responding to Stural Reply with quote

Hey Stural- check out the avoid Berlitz post several lines below this one. In case that should not answer your question- I finished my year in slavery at Berlitz. Using the smily faces this is the rating I would give it Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Shocked Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Exclamation

Indeed- they are NOT known for being caring to their teachers and the reason that they advertise alot is because in part to what I have written before. Go read it! I've received 4 private messages from others with their own stories but who don't want to post at the moment. Its bad there! Confused Crying or Very sad Exclamation
Maria
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: