Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice and info.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teeder9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Looking for advice and info. Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking at the possibility of heading to Costa Rica and am in the initial steps of researching the situation.

Me.

Native speaker
No degree.
Young retiree from military and fed government. 42 years, very young.
Canadian citizen
TESL/TEFL certificate
Teaching Business English and TOEFL Preparation certificates
Have taught for 1 year
Fluent in French (Grade + High School in French)

I'm looking for a job that would cover the cost of a nice apartment and living expenses.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots...take a trip down to Costa Rica and start knocking on doors. Little hiring is done in Costa Rica over the net, though it is possible.

A work visa may be very difficult to get. If you could show a retiree income from outside Costa Rica, then you would have better luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
teeder9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout assistance get a visa? Do employers normally help or do they pretty much leave it to you?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, only the bigger unis will assist. Without a degree, you won't be able to get a uni job, so I'd say sponsorship on work papers is out.

A lot of people work at language schoos and make 'border runs' every 3 months (or 6?) to Panama.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
teeder9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess that means just a regular tourist visa would do to start. How 'bout employers? Any suggestions there?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, few hire over the net. You really will find many more if you pay a visit to San Jose and scout around. Or, take a look at the job offers on this site http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist You will see the odd posting from Costa Rica.

There are people who work in Costa Rican schools that post here too. Someone will see you.
doreenp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: costa rica Reply with quote

There are many teachers here in CR, but not many postings! I really doubt that you would get a work visa here. My last university tried and were turned down because the gov`t feels that there are enough English speaking CR teachers that are capable of teaching English . Everyone I know has either become a resident or stayed here on a 3 months tourist visa .
There are tons of jobs available on all levels from the agencies to language schools to universities. With your qualifications and experience I would shoot for the Universities.
But, as Guy said, you have to be here to get the jobs.

cheers and good luck
dee.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dee...help me with something...

Quote:
There are tons of jobs available on all levels from the agencies to language schools to universities. With your qualifications and experience I would shoot for the Universities.

Good to know, but the OP said no degree. Would the unis hire without one, regardless of working papers or not? I was under the impression they wouldn't but I don't live there in CR
doreenp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: degrees Reply with quote

I know quite a few who are working in universities without degrees. Maybe this isn�t something that the universities want advertised.??

However these are not young people fresh out of high school that i�m referring to. I do think maturity and life experience count for something and this is why it�s so important to be here and present (and sell) yourself in a professional manner.

I have a few friends i�m going to run this question by and will get back to you!
cheers
d
tesolitis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: looking for advice + info Reply with quote

to doreenp:
I am interested in this degree-less teaching too, hope u can - may be - provide examples - especially non-language type. .
doreenp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: info for cr Reply with quote

After speaking with a few of my friends who have been in the position of hiring teachers, I have found out that YES, they do hire people without BA�s. in universities However, they prefer you to have one and each individual must prove that they are capable and will be an asset to the school.

If you have previous teaching experience and a Tefl or similar certificate, you would get an interview. From there it�s up to you to prove that you�re qualified.

AND the most important part of getting hired..... is to be here! Sending your resumes and emailing for information will not get you hired. Many people have dreams and the desire to come to CR and teach but only a few actually make it here. So saying, �i plan on being there in ... � is not enough. Too many people do not show up, change plans or are never heard from again.

If you have confidence in yourself then get on a plane and come on down to this beautiful country. You will get a job!

cheers and good luck
dee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: