Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A list... countries to teach with no degree:
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lajzar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'd go for a trained veterinary surgeon before the bloke who knows a bit about first aid.
dandan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.
Linda L.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PANAMA?

That was so obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

si jeunesse savait
double agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: A point is made Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Well a point has been made. Yes you can get
a job without a degree. But it is not easy mind you.

It takes ENerGy BaLLs and HuTzzpaH...or sumting like dat.

I would rather a teacher with no degree who has a TEFL
and WANTS to be there. Rather than a noisy teacher
who has no prospects in life and is just doing the job to
do the job to do the job ....

So what, i know it goes on but in does not affect me. What affects
me are the TEFLS who are so full of themselves and Confused
Saying shit like " well i taught in japan...and we did this and we did that
and..." " this is a good school, the administration is right, we should
all work for free on our day off" .."we need to pull together to help these thieves, oops i mean our boss"....

I am TIRED of hearing shit from the mouth of degreed TEFLers who
only question where you studied, not how is your class proceeding etc.

Anyway...power to the people. Razz Razz
struelle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh Dorum--come on, be real; a degree teaches you how to use your brain and it shows the world that you have the foresight and determination to do something the benefits of which may not be readily apparent to you.

This is true, but I recall back to a computer geography class I took in 3rd year (GIS) where we did a project with census data. Part of the census showed the percentage of people with university degrees in my hometown, and it was only an average 30%! This may vary from region to region, of course, but why is it that those of us with degrees, in the top percentage, have such a difficult time finding high-paying good jobs?

Steve
M.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do degree-holders have such trouble finding good jobs? Because it's like they say, it's not what you know but who you know. My degree did not get me the (horribly soul-less and boring) decent-paying job I've had for the past 3 years. Nope. I knew a guy who knew a guy...
I don't know how the job market is in other parts of the world and outside of the TEFL universe, but I can tell you that here in the US my company has received close to a thousand resumes (CVs to others) to fill the marketing/writing position I'm vacating in 8 days. Probably all the applicants have degrees, are over-qualified for this position, and the majority are likely unemployed right now. Is the professional employment situation this bleak everywhere else in the world, or are we 'Mericans just lucky? Rolling Eyes
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.K.- It sort of sounds like the 1930s all over again, doesn't it? I am always a bit sad to see that the waiters, barristas, and bartenders at my old haunts back in Canada usually possess at least one degree.
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sad state of affairs for sure. Even those degree holders who have to tend bar or wait tables are fortunate to have a solid income. I have friends with good, practical degrees who can't even find those types of jobs these days. Yep, it's that bad, at least here in Colorado. Here's hoping things start to turn around really soon...
Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A degree no longer guarantees you a job - at least in North America. I wouldn't have a prayer at a decent job with my trusty English Lit degree and nothing else. Fortunately the job market in China is taking off.... Wink (and I care about the job I do).

MK, you're counting the days now? Good luck! I hope that you enjoy yourself and learn a lot about teaching, life, the universe and everything.
Celeste

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wolf, I can relate. I have a bachelor of fine arts degree in theatre. Since graduating from university in 1997, I have had 2 full time jobs in Canada. One was a clerical position, the other was an ESL position. I have never been able to get full time work in my field (I am trained as a theatre and film technician and designer), but it is a fine hobby here in Japan. I even do a bit of singing and acting here. TEFL, meanwhile is putting food on my table and providing a relatively fulfilling work experience.
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a degree in psychology from a rather famous university in the US with psych experience but haven't been able to find a job in 2 months. I saw an add in the paper for a supermarket cashier for 9.50 an hour and went to apply and there had to be 200 other people applying for the same position. Just to be a cashier. I have a final (I mean it this time) interview on Wednesday and if it falls through it's back to TEFL for me, at least for a while. Things are bad here for the time being and it will be a while before it gets better.
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Thailand... Reply with quote

As a Canadian male without a degree, is it worth goin to Thailand with only a TESOL certificate to get work. I am not concerned about the teaching knowledge learned in university, because I am certain that my TESOL cert. will suffice, but rather the actually peice of paper that allows me to get the right visa.
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Krazy I am working at a big, rich pharmaceutical company here in San Diego with my degree, yet I despise the work. I cant wait to get back to Asia and teach. I am in total agreement that the non-degree holder who does research and good lesson planning is a MUCH better teacher than the BA holder who couldnt land a job in his home country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: