Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which country?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
innes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: which country? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am taking my TEFL course in Prague in August. Afterwards, I would like to start teaching abroad. The problem is: where? There are so many countries that I like. How do I know which one to choose?

Which country in Africa would be the best to teach? I am mostly interested in South Africa, but I don't really want to limit myself.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,
Innes
DaadaDG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I see that you're located in Belgium - do you speak French by any means? If so, I would recommend you check out Francophone Africa too. As one who loves Africa more than any other place on earth, I have to warn you that you've chosen the worst possible continent for EFL ... the jobs are so few and far between that it's quite discouraging. If you want instant success, go over to the Aisa forum (China, Japan, Korea). But Africa certainly has its own distinct charm. If you want the comforts of a highly industrialized society, you can't beat South Africa. Though it's a bit "rougher" for a Westerner, I wouldn't trade Cameroon for anywhere!! (And believe me, there's a lot rougher to choose from than Cameroon, if that's what you're looking for.)

If you're a U.S. Citizen, you can check out these sites:
http://www.sit.edu/elf/index.html

http://www.aacircle.com.au/cgi-bin/forums/rest/teach-in-rest.pl/noframes/read/574

And of course the Peace Corps, which I did and loved dearly:
www.peacecorps.gov

I'm less familiar with possibilities for Europeans.

Hope this helps a little, and good luck!
innes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: re:which country? Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, I speak French, but my mother tongue is Dutch. I thought about Asia first, especially China, but as a first time I would prefer somewhere closeby. My first choice would be South Africa, but I am not sure about the possibilities there. I have checked out some South African schools, but nothing has come up (yet).
As a European citizen I wouldn't have any problems finding a job in Europe, but I want to go somewhere where it doesn't rain all the time!

Tell me more about your experience with the Peace Corps. I have also thought about it, but I am not really into voluntary work, because most of them ask money from your instead of you earning money. And normally you work in order to earn money.

Best regards,
Innes
DaadaDG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. I totally agree with you about those jobs that make you PAY to do them. That's ridiculous!!! Maybe (MAYBE) okay for high school students looking for some culturally enriching experience, but believe me, I did not PAY for an education in order to PAY to work...

None of the volunteer agencies that I listed above are THAT kind. They are the kind that help you to at least break even. They usually take care of your travel, medical, etc. and give you a "living stipend" while you're in the country, so you will at least have enough to eat and find lodging. The "living stipends" depend on the country and cost of living. I was in the Peace Corps in Cameroon and at the time got about 300 USD a month plus free housing, and though it doesn't sound like much, it went a LONG way over there and was plenty for all my needs. Some of the options I mentioned earlier seem to pay more than that.

Now that I've got a family and a mortgage, those kinds of positions aren't really an option right now. So I guess the question to ask yourself is, do you have to be making a "regular" salary by European standards, or is it enough to just not LOSE any money in the deal? I think the philosophy behind these kinds of positions is that the experience alone is worth not making any huge profits off of it, but they will take care of you and see that all your basic needs are met in the meantime. Some of them have other benefits like "return allowance" etc.

Also, EFL is not really a stellar way to "get rich quick" but if you do manage to land a rare teaching job that pays you a regular European-style salary, you've really hit the jackpot because the cost of living is so low (generally), especially in Africa. (Not true for Japan, I've heard!) So $30,000 USD goes a LOT farther in Africa than it does in the US!! Also, I don't know about European taxes, but in the US if you meet certain criteria you can be eligible for a foreign income tax exclusion, which means that all of your salary comes to you tax free (unless your country of work taxes you, which has never been the case in my positions). In my last position in the Central African Republic, I was netting about 1500 USD a month with free housing, and although I couldn't make ends meet on that in the States, over there I was living VERY comfortably on less than $500/month, and stashing the rest of it away in savings. Which all added up to a very nice downpayment on that mortgage that I mentioned above. So don't be too quick to balk at the salary - there are other advantages.

Unfortunately, Peace Corps is restricted to U.S. Citizens. (It's actually government funded.) Since you're in the EU, here's another one that I've heard of that looks really good and similar to Peace Corps, though I have no personal experience with it:

http://www.vso.org.uk/volunteering/

I'm sorry I don't know much about South Africa, but I bet a little web-surfing would turn up some opportunities down there. Good luck!
mc001

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: which country? Reply with quote

I work in Algeria and have a good job even though I have only been teaching for less than 2years with an international school.

There are few people who come here so those who venture here manage to progress quickly and fulfil their potential.

As you speak French too, you will not have the problem that I have with communication, although we are trying to teach everyone to speak English!
carolynne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: South Africa Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a South African EFL teacher. For my extensive outline on how to get a job in South Africa see the thread, South Africa: the facts.
Unfortunately as there are many native English speakers in South Africa the likelyhood of picking up a paid jobs is, well, unlikely. (just woke Embarassed ).
Send me a private mail if you have any questions and I can try find out some info for you. I know my university organises volunteer teaching for students... Would you be interested in volunteering?
Actually if you are Maths is a huge issue in SA, you may not be in your field but you'd definately make a difference. Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: