Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marriage in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasihan deh loh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Marriage in Egypt Reply with quote

Hi

Last week the Indonesian press reported that foreigners who marry Egyptian women have to pay a bond to the Egyption Government.
The figure quoted was 25,000 Egyption Pounds, which I believe is about US$4,300.

They are using this statement to justify a similar plan here, but they want Rp500,000,000 which is about US$50,000.

Can anyone tell me if this statement is correct or not and if there is any info available on the internet. I have searched all the Egypt Gov websites I can find and have found no reference to anything like this.

Thanks guys and girls.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you contact the closest Egyptian Embassy? I don't think a group of expat English teachers would be the best source for information like this.

At best we would only know rumors. Personally I have never heard any discussion of such a thing, but you never know what a government comes up with to charge a fee. Since many Egyptian women marry rich Gulf Arabs, it would certainly be a lucrative way for the government to get money.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many cases of Saudis marrying Egyptian women and then dumping them. I doubt if the jilted spouse would ever get the money from the government though.

The Indonesian government is even more corrupt and greedy than the Egyptian. Still it's ironic to see a nominally Islamic government encouraging people to live in sin.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it is more about suggesting that local men marry local women...

VS
kasihan deh loh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why don't you contact the closest Egyptian Embassy?

I tried to email the embassy in Jakarta but the email bounced, maybe tne address is out of date. I found a list of Egyptian embassies on the their government web site but none were listed in Indo so I sent an email to the embassy in Canada but no reply yet.

Quote:
I don't think a group of expat English teachers would be the best source for information like this.

That may be true but I am hoping to get some info before Saturday as there is a seminar on the topic and I would like to have this question answered before then. If they have a question time I would like to question the accuracy of their information.

I am married to an Indonesian as are 3 of the other teachers at my school , I thought there may be teachers in Egypt who have married Egyptians and may know the regulations.

Quote:
The Indonesian government is even more corrupt and greedy than the Egyptian. Still it's ironic to see a nominally Islamic government encouraging people to live in sin.

You hit the nail on the head there. That is the hot topic of discussion around Jakarta now for exptes. "Would you pay $50,000,000 dollars to marry an Indonesian?"

We English teachers couldn't afford it anyway but I don't think anyone would pay that much money to get married. These girls are hard enough to trust without giving them the option of getting married for a month or so then clearing off with $25,000, which would take our receptionists where I work over 30 years to earn. The government has stated that it would be half each on divorce.

Thanks for your comments everyone, if anyone can add any more info I'd be grateful.[/quote]
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that you would live long enough to get the Egyptian Embassy in any country to answer an email. (not unless you knew the person and vice-versa)

The only way to get any kind of answer (maybe) would be to call them. And even then they probably wouldn't be all that helpful - a common problem with so many embassies I fear...

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know people who have married Egyptians, but only western women marrying Egyptian men, so I guess it's not that much of a help. However, none of the women who have married an Egyptian have had to pay anything. I'm really not sure what the situation would be if the genders were reversed, but I've never heard of having to pay a fee to get married here.
Like VS said thouh - all we know are rumours, so please don't quote me!
Sekhmet
blackadam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I married an Egyptian girl in Cairo and paid nothing (apart from normal admin fees), so no, it's not true.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expecting an Egyptian civil servant to answer your e-mail inquiry is a trifle optimistic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: