Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical Coverage and Vaccinations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
got2go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Medical Coverage and Vaccinations Reply with quote

How is the medical coverage in Salalah?

Are the facilities clean, are the supplies enough?

Also, do you all suggest that my family and I get vaccinated. I've read that it's highly suggested to get Hep A and B shot, the malaria vaccine, etc. Is it really bad there?

I would highly appreciate your input since your input means alot to me and it's very valuable!

Thanks again one and all!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure that your Tetanus shots are up to date and many suggest at least Hep B (the one you get from food?). Another you may want to consider if your kids tend to play with dogs and cats on the street is the Rabies vaccine.

Don't take the Malaria meds as they are no longer recommended for Oman. (and even when they were recommended by the US state dept back in the 80s, the Western doctors there said NOT to take them - as effects of taking them long term are negative especially for children.) Oman was declared Malaria free some years back. No one I knew used it even back then, except for some of the intrepid campers who spend weekends way out visiting secluded villages.

I would expect that the hospitals are fine for basic things, but I wouldn't want to have heart surgery there. Laughing They have very good hospitals up in Muscat.

VS
manoflettersk466

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Salalah medical situation Reply with quote

Your "coverage" would depend on your contract I would think. Hospitals & clinics in Salalah are good, not great. If you are ill you will get proper treatment, no worries there. If you need specific medications (for an ongoing condition) make sure your doctor in America provides specific drug information for the pharmacy/doctors in Salalah to follow.
I think many people have a mild diarrhea when they first arrive - much less severe than a trip to Mexico .... it may just be an adjustment to all the curry one is eating (90% of food in Oman is Indian).......
Re - dogs & cats in the streets - I only saw ONE dog the whole time I was in Oman...........and believe me as a DOG LOVER, I was looking for them.....I think many Moslems mistakenly think that the Koran was anit-dog ..... which it is NOT .... see ....
http://www.submission.org/pets/dogs.html
...but I did see hundreds of VERY dirty cats in the streets, usually around garbage...so I agree with "Veiled" ... Tetanus, Heps & maybe Rabies.
But on the whole I really believe that the Gulf is more healthy than 90% of America (I include my own Canada in this) ....there is something about the heat & sun that just does not promote disease, infection etc .... just my feeling..........
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you didn't see any dogs in Salalah. We had large feral packs around Muscat - especially around the SQU campus. Other than the noise, they never bothered anyone. But, I would worry with kids... feral cats the same.

VS
got2go

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I'm sure glad I asked you guys! I will surely make sure that I get the kids and I vaccinated ASAP.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: