Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

traveling to brazil - need some tips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: traveling to brazil - need some tips Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm from Canada and I'm moving to Brazil in January. So excited.
Anyway I'm planning on traveling South America in January and February starting in Peru. Does anybody have some good travel tips on the best way to get my self around all the countries??

My route will be Lima, La Paz, Santiago, Mendoza, Buens Aires, and finally back to Sao Paulo. Of course these are just the big places that I plan to go first but in each country I will be there for a while and definately plan on seeing various things. I don't speak Spanish, but trying to learn.

So any helpfull hints on the best ways to get around, things to see, and ways to keep myself safe would be helpful.
Gajeman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're moving to Brazil you'd better learn Portuguese and not Spanish. Good luck!
jefo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they speak Portuguese in Brazil but the classes I will be taking are all in English so I figured since I'm traveling first and everywhere else in South America is Spanish I should learn some Spanish.

So do people not really speak English at all in Brazil? Am I screwed not knowing any Portuguese?
Gajeman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jefo. I have been to Brazil three times for a combined total of eleven months (I currently live just outside of Brasilia) and the vast majority of people I have encountered speak little or no English. I have met many who do but they were usually university students or professors and not the people working at the markets and restaurants where communication is a bit more crucial than just trying to chat over a coffee or a beer. It's doubtful that someone at the bus terminal would be able to give you directions in English if he/she even understood you in the first place. Of course this will be different in a major tourist spot where the help is regularly catering to foreigners. I am not very familiar with Sao Paulo. I have visited some locations in that state but only know the airport and bus terminal in the capital city. My guess would be that in the city your chances of finding people who speak English will be greater but maybe someone who has lived in Sao Paulo can give you a more educated answer about that region. Of course you will need some Spanish for the rest of South America but I suggest you learn some Portuguese before you get to Brazil. I had many friends back in the states who would try to speak Spanish with my Brazilian friends and quite often the Brazilians would be turned off or offended by this. It seemed to be a touchy subject. Please keep in mind that these are my personal experiences only and that I don't presume to be an authority on all things Brazilian. Keep asking around. Good luck!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: