Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: New Teacher Reply with quote

Hi,

Just a fw general questions that I hope someone out there can answer. I have been reading the comments placed through this forum but I would like to tailor the questions to me. (hope that isnt too much of a problem!) Just beginning to do my research into China and teaching English. I do get the feeling that this is a real case of buyer beware and you have to
do your research and think of things before you jump in?

I would like to teach in Shanghai preferably with a business slant to a more adult audience as I have two business related degrees. I am booked to do the CELTA examination next month. Could anyone recommend a bone fide school(s) that do(es) this? I also want to learn Mandarin so is it better to learn this in Bejing or in Shanghai, I have heard there is a difference in dialect? I have visted both places as a tourist, but Shanghai to me is where all the business action is going to be and that is preferable.

The employer employee relationship is something you have to deal with even in the West and of course China will be different I realise that, but from what I can read, I don't want to sign more than a six month contract, as the get out clause seems so ambigous. Could someone clarify how easy it is to break the contract or fall foul of your employer and what powers they have over you? Visa situation etc?

There seems to be quite a bit of free time and not being an idle type of individual what other teaching jobs could one investigate in Shanghai and Bejing where I would be legally allowed to pursue with my present employer knowing where I would get paid? I did see one posting that the school allowed individuals to work outside hours as long as their teaching didnt suffer. I am more than happy to pay any extra taxes that this would entail, so how do you go about that without ensuring your present employer doesnt loose any face?

Thanks.
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion:
1: Learning Mandarin - definitely Peking is better! Shanghainese have a certain reputation... Their local dialect will be given preference in the city, and as an outsider you get cut out! Similar to Hong Kong.

2: Negotiate a good contract. For six months? Well, make sure that they do pay your airfare! PRobably only one-way. that's custom here! Have it prorated and added to your monthly pay!

3: Other jobs:
By national law, not allowed! It often is tolerated, though! But in Shanghai, it appears the police make clampdowns from time to time...
A private employer may not be required to deduct salary tax from your pay. If he has to, then you cannot make extra incomeA! In some parts of the country, (I am talking of my own experience), foreign-owned businesses have to declare your income to the tax bureau, and if it is in excess of 4000 you pay tax!
Schools may be officially barred from hiring a part-timer! So it is a try-and-err situation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: