Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL agencies for London?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably �Lecturer� and �Senior Lecturer�.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash wrote:
Russell, tell us where these ads are (if not in the publications already discussed). And what is 'L or SL'? Tell us more about positions in York...

I have posted a few on here (look down the page for threads). One site that is good is jobs.ac.uk where you will find many ads but it seems that fewer HE places are signed up to it than before. Guardian jobs is also worth checking but the best is way is probably to make a habit of checking HE vacancy pages as many positions don't get advertised widely. Also, for EAP BALEAP have started up a jobs page on their site. There isn't much there right now but posts which up until now would have just been circulated by e-mail will hopefully appear there.

Positions at York, Salford, Cardiff, Staffs and various London Universities have been nationally advertised during the Summer. I'm not sure what's available at the moment there is usually something worth applying for if you take a bit of time.

As Hector Lector has already expanded my shorthand I won't expand it here. Soon (next Summer I think), the L, SL and PL (Principal Lecturer) grades will be replaced by new grades under the Framework Agreement that HE institutions are currently introducing. This seems to be good news for most HE lecturers but not for all of us EFL lecturers. If an individual is not actually leading a credit awarding course or module then progression up to the new SL grade (grade 8 ) might be difficult. Taking the latest pay award of 3% into account this means many of us will find �30,000 as the ceiling. It may also mean that some individuals could be faced with demotion.

The difficulties of the Framework Agreement, pensions and next year's pay awards mean industrial action is on the cards, especially in England and Wales where the issue of top up fees also comes into the equation.
London10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell...When refering to L, SL and PL with regards to further education are you refering to EFL? I didn't realise such titles existed in EFL and indeed that EFL was taught in UK universites. Could you explain / expand on that please. Are EFL classes part of the foundation courses foreign students sometimes take before starting their degree or something? If EFL is taught in universities what are the selection requirments for teachers(qualifications /exp etc).
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

London10 wrote:
Russell...When refering to L, SL and PL with regards to further education are you refering to EFL? I didn't realise such titles existed in EFL and indeed that EFL was taught in UK universites. Could you explain / expand on that please. Are EFL classes part of the foundation courses foreign students sometimes take before starting their degree or something? If EFL is taught in universities what are the selection requirments for teachers(qualifications /exp etc).

As I've said before mostly pre-sessional but there are other posts that get advertised which are the type of thing that EFL teachers could apply for. Many posts which are focussed on skills value EFL, ESOL and EAP. If they ask for other things like numeracy then it's still worth applying as few applicants will be able to offer the full range of skills.
sprightly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the uk, i teach efl full time but not in FE or HE, and i'm doing well. of course, i'm single and childfree, but even so, i think i'd be alright. i'm holding up well against my business analyst buddy.

i think it's ludicrous to work in london; there's a glut of staff.

maybe expand into kent, or sussex? lots of language schools will turn up on google, and living expenses are much cheaper.
John Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: EFL agencies Reply with quote

You could give Linguarama a ring. I don't know much about them but they do act as a sort of agency as they send teachers to France and Spain and they have centres in the UK. Anybody had any experiences of Linguarama?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: