Site Search:
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: VISA QUESTION Reply with quote

If it is easier to enter on a tourist visa and proceed to find a job in-country, then what happens next? Is everybody working illegally??????Do you have to hop down to Malaysia and make a quick turn around????

Thank you in advance to all the veterans that can hold my hand through the process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Visa Reply with quote

If you have a job already you apply for a 12 month "B" visa with multiple entries (for those inevitable holidays) but you need a letter from your employer to do this. Otherwise, blow in and get a job. A reputable employer will arrange a visa for you, otherwise, you will have to do a "visa run" to Vienteiene or Malaysia.
Enjoy Thailand,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 03 Mar 2003
Posts: 84
Location: Nishi-Shinjuku JAPAN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Play it safe. Reply with quote

The fact is that many do work in Thailand
. There is not much stopping them other than the Visa runs. Which gets to be a hassle after the 3rd or 4th time (see more below). Getting a 12 month type B visa is a difficult task indeed.

Generally speaking, they are not granted that often. Actually, I never knew a single teacher that was granted a 12 month Visa. What is granted for 12 month is a Work Permit, which then translates into type of Visa. You are issued a small little blue book that looks like a Thai passport, and that is your ticket to working legally in Thailand for more than a 3 month stint. If you are absent of this Work Permit, you will have to do a Visa run every 90-100 days.

I would not recommend you trying to get the work permit on your own. When my employer applied for it, it took 3 trips and a stack of papers about 5cm thick. Throw in the language barrier... what looked like a small payoff.... and a few other things.. and it adds up to... let the school do it for you.

Choose your Visa run destination carefully. If you are Anglo ... stereotypical American or English looking be VERY wise please. At this time, due to the war with Iraq and Afganistan, I would not recommend Penang (MALAYSIA) as this is a Muslim country and you should anticipate having some degree of hassle there. Last time I was there, about 4 months ago, many wore pro Ben Ladin tee shirts. Not a sight that I care to see.

In addition, Burma has strong tensions with Thailand. You may be able to enter, but getting back across may prove difficult. Same with Cambodia. Although tensions with Cambodia have subsided some. Vietnam seems still safe for the Western Visa-runner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 1276

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: don't worry - it's REALLY simple... Reply with quote

Many people may work illegally in Thailand, but I would say that there are many more teachers that have full-time contracts, work permits and 12 month visas. If you are an actual teacher working for an actual school, institute or university then, yes, it should be taken care of for you by the school. Yes, it does require several trips to both the Ministry of Labor and the Immigration dept, but there's no 'pay off'. It's just a 'fee'.

Normally you would leave the country after receiving a letter from your intended employer in order to get a 90-day non-immmigrant visa which would then be extended to a year in Thailand, but I believe that now you can convert a 60-day tourist visa to a non-immigrant visa at the immigration dept. in Thailand without leaving the country with the proper documentation from your employer. Or at least that's what I did the last time I changed jobs. Either way, your initial step is to come here on a tourist visa and then find a job and then convert your visa and then extend it, unless you've been hired in advance, which is also possible. In that case, the employer would send you a letter that you could present to the consulate in your country and you could arrive with the non-immigrant visa.

you can get more visa info at:
although I can't vouch for the accuracy of their info, but it looks like a good site.
Also, if you do have to go on a visa run, I would agree with hagaruki that Malaysia may not be the best place to go thesedays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote is top notch. The forum will answer all your questions and the information on the site is 'up-to-the-minute'. Very friendly lot.

There are absolutely NO hassles at the Cambodian border at all. Don't be worried about popping over there to extend your tourist visas. (Don't look like a slob, and smell a lot!) Just do it before the 13th!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 12
Location: Bangkok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Marko! Reply with quote

You don't extend your Visa by doing a run, you get a whole new one.

Also it's super easy to get a Non-imm B from a Visa service. The only problem is most countries surrounding Thailand (Laos, Malaysia, Cambodia) will ONLY issue a single entry (90 days) or (from Khota Baru) a double entry (two lots of 90 days). Once you have a work permit your Visa (you have to be on a Non-imm B. And while I too have HEARD it's possible to change a tourist to a Non-imm B at Immigration I'm yet to meet anyone that has actually done this) is extended by 9 months initially (as you've used three months to begin with) then when you renew your work permit your Visa in turn is extended by a year at a time, although you'll still need to register your address every 90 days at Immigration.


You've given some pretty bad info there. A 12 months Non-imm B is actually vaild (or can be made valid) for 15 months in 90 day intervals. You NEED to be on a Non-imm B to get a work permit (although again I've HEARD it's possible to get a WP on a Non-imm O).

You generally CAN'T get work permit on your own, you need the school to vouch for you. And remember if you leave or get the sack although it may look like you're good for another 6 months or so (your extended Visa stamp) you'll actually have to leave the country within 7 days or possibly get into trouble next time you leave or apply for a WP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 445

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Non-imm 'O' Reply with quote

When I last worked in Thailand 1999-2000 I arrived on a non-imm 'O' and I was able to get a work permit which was sponsored by a Rajabhat. No biggie, just loads of paperwork, about a zillion photos, and going to immigration with a grumpy Thai secretary (heaven forbid she should actually do something besides shag the vice-president) and bob's your uncle, the little blue book was mine.
My daughter, although born in Thailand and having a Thai mother, also had to go to immigration to get a one year visa. That was a 500 baht fee. No big thing, that. But I hear things will be changing on the visa front soon.
Boy, I could sure go for a super spicy som tam and an icy-cold Beer Chang right about now. Isaan food is aroi dee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China