Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I or shouldn't I?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Should I or shouldn't I? Reply with quote

I am an 18 year old Canadian male, just graduated from high school and thinking of taking a year off university to take a TESOL course and go teach englich abroad. My first preference is Thailand, but I would like your guys' honest opinions on whether you think I would be able to get by with just a TESOL certificate.

If not, where would a guy like me be best to go - I don't plan on making a million bucks, I just wanna break near even in the end.
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Are you sure you know what is involved ? Reply with quote

Tkrowczyk,
Your situationhere in Thailand would I feel be somewhat difficult for you due a variety of reasons .

You are dropping yourself into the trap that language school teachers have created for themselves over here, long hours poor pay unpaid holidays and unqualified too.

The very scenario that you wish for yourself is the reason that teaching English over here is regarded as rather a poor way to live for the majority of foreign teachers over here.

Indeed you would be well advised to steer clear of Thailand as you have no experience, no qualifications and indeed would be handicapped by your age.

Possibly it may be a viable proposition to work for a voluntary aid agency in the refugee camps on the borders. Here you would find a great experience, and inded a view of life in Thailand as it really is , Bloody hard !.

No please stay away , there are far too many inexperienced people here , who are virtually stranded due to financial constraits imposed upon them by their own actions in working for crap companies and getting peanut pay. This is the real world here, and you have got to throw away those rose tinted glasses my friend. Cool
gecko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear!

Couldn't have said it any better my self.
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Should I or shouldn't I ? Reply with quote

Tkrowczyk.

Possibly if you chatted with Gecko, you might find a true scenario and the full horror story of working in Thailand.

Gecko that Tabitha bird aint as dozy as you might think , I like the fact that I create mirth and amusement to other posters and readers too. Ref postings elsewhere !!.

Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
Mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Remember the Thai teaching blues Reply with quote

I agree with Tabitha's postings. I taught last year in Sakon Nakon which is Northeastern Thailand it is a small city. I taught at the rajabhat up there. I received a small salary and of course I had to pay for my own housing and basic necessities such as electricity, etc. It was very difficult to save any money at all. In 1998 I taught in Bangkok and Pettuburri at that time you could make good money but the times have changed. I would suggest teaching in another country or do as Tabitha suggested.
ajarn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, the basic raji gig is 25,850 baht per month. In Sakhon Nakhon you could get a good apartment for about 3,000 a month. Water about 200 a month electricity about the same if you don't have aircon. Get your laundry done for 400 a month. There is sweet FA to do in Sakhon Nakhon, where did your money go?
Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Ajarn:
My money didn't go for drinking in the karoke bars or women. My money went for basic entertainment. I was charged 5000 per month for a large house which was near the rajabhat that I taught at. Later I changed closer to the city and lived in a room which was furnished for 2000 Baht per month. I bought a used Motor bike which was my main transportation. I'm glad you like Sakon Nakhon.
ajarn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot to spend on "basic entertainment" could you elaborate a bit? I'm not particularly enamoured with Sakhon Nakhon. There's not a hell of a lot to do there.
Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic entertainment was buying dvds to watch because there was nothing to do in Sakon Nakon also I had to make a couple of trips to Bangkok to get a new passport last year. The bottom line was that that I left Thailand because I couldn't save very much money now I am in China where I am saving more money.
ajarn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original poster said he wasn't interested in "making a million bucks". The reasons why you couldn't save money are due to personal choices. Whilst I agree this guy has many factors against him what I object to is people rejecting Thailand out of hand as a place to teach because the remuneration in their opinion isn't adequate. Surely before you take a government job up country you know you are not going to save a fortune?

Incidentally I worked down south for 24,000 a month frequently visited the surrounding islands and managed to save around 140,000 baht in 13 months. That doesn't mean I"m going to get on here and tell everyone it's easy to save money on this type of salary. It comes down to personal choices. I've taught in Japan and teachers there complained they couldn't save anything. These same teachers went out on the piss all the time, what do you expect?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: