Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to stay longer than the tourist visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttravdawg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to stay longer than the tourist visa Reply with quote

Hey I am an american citizen currently on the first 3 monthes of my tourist visa. I am planning on extending my stay for 3 more monthes, but i would like to stay down here a year...

Basically I want to know if anyone has found a way to legally stay longer then the six monthe tourist visa, other than getting married. From reading the posts here it sounds like taking a vaction and renewing from another country is no longer possible. It also sounds like if you have ``friends�� in the federal policia there are ways to get around the visa issue. But how does one make friends in the FP? Is it strickly a know someone, who knows someone type of an arrangement? I am willing to spend a little money on the renewal but have no idea where to start. anyone who can give me some sort of direction would be much appreciated.
andrzej

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not possible to become friends with the police. just by virtue of you calling them federal policia it's clear you don't speak portuguese very well. they're not your buddies, and they're not going to cut a young tourist a break. forget that idea.

my suggestion is, if you want to stay a year, stay a year. don't worry about overstaying your visa. nothing will happen to you when you leave. if you ever do decide to come back to brazil again, you'll have to pay a small fine for your troubles, probably the same amount as trying to do it legally. no one is really going to ask you for this information, unless you get into serious police trouble. i know it sounds weird for me to say that, and i know we americans are very anal about being 'legal', due to the mexicans getting caught and deported in the US, but trust me, no one is going to approach you on the street in order to see if you are legal. just do it!!!!! it's the only way, unless you study abroad or get married. stay low, don't get arrested, and you'll be fine and dandy. that's a promise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: