Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Politics Policy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debs022

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Politics Policy Reply with quote

Recently, many of my students have been asking my feelings about the potential U.S. led war against Iraq. They seem very interested and curious, especially because I am from the U.S. Do you think it is an appropriate topic for class? As it turns out, I agree with the Chinese government on this issue so I have given my opinions. If I did not agree with the gov. on some other issue would that make a difference.
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sensible question!
To begin with, yes, it does matter, greatly matter whether you toe the CP line on such issues. Luckily, your view and your host country's view seem to converge.
Still, it is a bit touchy. Tackle it with extra care!
randyj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teacher can often rely upon adult students for guidance when, for one reason or another, discussion strays into controversial subject matter. I have benefited from such guidance, given quite respectfully, and I always remain alert for it. Sensibilities do vary.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic for class...if the students can understand there is more then one viewpoint. They finally did when i said do you think it would have been good if someone stopped Japan before they attacked China.
I really don't think politics is taboo at all EXCEPT for the sensitive areas concerning internal Chinese policies 1989, Tibet, certain "religious movement".
Unfortunately the students at my schools lacked the resources to talk intelligently on the issues.
But then some high school students are surprisingly well informed. I was at dinner, and the father was a little upset because i said Taiwan had three groups (at least) of people; the "original" not native chinese, who were ruled by the first wave of Chinese (mostly pirates) who were conquered by the 1949 Chinese. Father said no, no,no. Then the son proceeded to give an incredibly rational explaination of this all; an explaination that happened to be intelligent because it agrre with what I believe. The father is an incredibly intelligent former professor
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some bright middle schoolers as well. Once I sat in on an 'Open talk' class done by a colleague in a class of 13 year olds. Somehow they got on the topic of 'Do you like Jiang Zemin?' Quite an interesting debate. I've also met a girl who's family was originally from Taiwan but her father got stuck in Luoyang and wasn't able to return about 30 years ago. He settled in and married a local woman and carried on with life on the mainland. Around 15 years ago her grandfather came to visit his son but was arrested at the airport when he was trying to get back to Taiwan. He was executed 10 days later for being a member of a Taiwanese political party. Chinese think about these things but I think keep their opinions to themselves. I've heard plenty of candid comments, such as 'CCTV9 is government propaganda for foreigners' and 'Mao nearly caused the death of Chinese culture.' I've notice that most of the party-liners are recent university graduates, fresh from 'civics' class or whatever they call it these days. Don't debate with those people!

BTW, Mr. Rogers died Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: