Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anitata

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Contract Reply with quote

Confused
Hello, It's me again! Well, I was offered a teaching position in mid June by a k-12 koleji in Istanbul. The head of the language department gave me a list of the documents I need to prepare and remeber I told you guys that he was asking me for the original degree of mine.....Well I sent the original degree to my friend in Istanbul around 3 weeks ago, my friend talked to the headmaster of the school and he told my friend that my contract is on the way, (they sent it via fedix express mail) (with the contract I can then apply for my working visa). It's three weeks already, and I still haven't received the contract (so my friend still has the original degree of mine). I wrote them a lot of e-mails to ask them what is going on and what is the next step I should take in order to obtain my working visa; I still hear nothing from them. The head of the language department told me I will have to be there on the 15th of Aug.
At this stage, I am really confused and thinking should I go to Turkey now?? I have a pretty good job here in Shanghai with a lot more money I am going to earn in Turkey. But I really want to go to Turkey....its for the experience.....My original plan was going to Turkey in Feb and then take few months language course and then find a job........Can anyone give me a suggestion here?? I am very confused again!! Is this Turkish way of dealing things??
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey's a funny place... Shocked I wish I could tell you that everything will be ok, that everything sorts out but... I don't know. I've spent most of my time here not know what's going on. So far I've been fine for two one-year contracts. Often I just take a deep breath and sigh a resigned Insh'allah, God-Willing. Ha.

To be honest, I'd say GET the contract, get all the letters of permission that you need to get your work permit. It's actually too late already to apply before arrival unless they have connections. It takes about 35 days to process. You can't get a work permit from within Turkey as far as I know. I'm not sure what they're planning to do with you- did they SAY they can get you a work permit before you get there? I'd not leave a good job in Shanghai that pays well for a school in Istanbul that's so waffly on such vital matters as contract and your legal status.
Anitata

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Yaramaz so very much for your reply. Well, the school Said that they will help me to obtain my working visa before I go to Turkey. I think its too late now as well, I talked to someone in the Turkish embassy and they said it will take more than a month to get a working visa as well. So I think I will follow my original plan and go to Turkey in Feb next year, and perhaps save some more money before I go. It looks like Turkey and China are kind of similar that personal connections is one of the important tools to get your way around......... Shocked[color=darkblue][/color][color=blue][/color]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: