Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The English Is Fun method...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the EIF Method all hype and not relevant?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
What the heck is EIF?
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

zach_w

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: The English Is Fun method... Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am asking a very general and broad question of all who are viewing today. That is simply: Is the English Is Fun method all it's cracked out to be? The website and informational e-mails I have received look absolutely wonderful and I'm thinking of joining a school or becoming an independent promoter in the future. I'm running a poll to see what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Zach
ewitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: EIF Method Reply with quote

HYPE

Seems like a money making exercise to me.

For starters before you can teach in an EIF centre you have to pay Euro 450.00 for the 2 day course (held in Bologna). On top of this you also need to pay for accommodation, transport etc. After you complete the course there is no guarantee that you will receive work.

Nowhere in their publicity could I find how much you are likely to earn teaching in one of their centres once you qualify.

You don't need any other qualifications - just the 2 day course. No Young Learners Cert/CELTA etc.

And I wonder - will any other school ever higher you with this qualification?
amey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: The EIF Method: My Experience... Reply with quote

Ciao Zach and everyone who reads this,

My name is Amy Coffey and I am now a fully qualified Irish Primary School Teacher working with infants in Dublin.
I started my career with EIF! so, in reply to your question: NO the method is not all hype and is definitely worth every cent of the training cost.

I arrived in Bologna in September 2002 with enough soldi to last me two weeks and those two weeks in which to find 'un lavoro' Arrow . The British Institute school I got a job in asked me would I be interested in training as an EIF teacher and I said 'Why not?'. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

The training got me lots of extra work and gave me loads of excellent tips which I still use to this day. It was the most rewarding part of teaching in Italy for me as I could gradually see how effective the method was and how the children were gradually learning and loving the lessons.

For your information: Most schools would rather hire teachers that have EIF certification than teachers who don't (the schools would have teachers teach both EIF and adults). The certification is MUIR accredited (Ministero dell'Istruzione dell'Universita' e della ricerca). I seriously doubt that public schools would take in teachers that are not MUIR accredited. The CTEFEL, for example, is not MUIR accredited.

Insomma, I would highly recommend the investment in training. You would be fully supported by the energetic and enthusiastic Director and her team. I do strongly believe you would quickly get a job and earn the money back and most importantly feel rewarded when you see how effective the method is.

It kickstarted my career and I interestingly follow the method's continuous success.........
Very Happy Buona fortuna,
Amy

Last edited by amey on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ewitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: EIF Method Reply with quote

Might depend where you are based in Italia but in Central Italia I have yet to have anyone ask for anything other than a CELTA or equivalent and degree (including elementary schools).
amey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ewitch,

I think you misunderstood my e-mail. When I wrote ''most schools would rather hire teachers with EIF certification'' that means ofcourse the schools in which the programme is already being taught......schools in which it is not already being taught would be extremely interested in you though if you had the qualification (it would open doors for them to start the innovative programme).

Buona Domenica,
Amy
latte_girl85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The English Is Fun method... Reply with quote

Funny to find this poll, I just recommended this method to another user. I haven't used it personally but a friend did and she was very happy with it.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what the method entails. Can anyone describe it briefly?
latte_girl85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi spiral,

I think it�s a natural approach to teaching where the kids' learning skills are worked on. What my friend loved about it was that she didn't have to do the lesson preparing, it was already done so that made things very easy. They have a website which I found interesting. You might want to check it out www.englishisfun.it For an Italian website at least the English translation was clear!
amey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: English is Fun - The Website Reply with quote

Hi all,
Yes, the website www.englishisfun.it is very imformative.

Buona fortuna,
Amy
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amey -

I did a quick search for schools where this program is in place, and the vast majority were British Institutes. I looked at Lazio, Lombardy and Piemonte, and didn't see a single public school on the list of schools. Also, I looked at the job page and saw that after completing the course, you obtain a "Certificate of Attendance". When you make reference to the public school system, are you saying that anyone over eighteen, with EU citizenship, who speaks English fluently will be eligible to teach in a public school after completing this program?

As I approach the end of my final semester of student teaching in the K-12 school system (and after two years of EFL/ESL teaching at home and in Italy) I am even more wary of any "system" in which teachers "don't plan" and simply follow a series of set lesson plans. I can't imagine how any teacher could open a box of resources and assume that whatever is inside will automatically be appropriate for all the students in their classroom, all the time. Researching and designing units and individual lessons is the absolute best way to ensure that what you're teaching is appropriate, relevant and engaging.
roset

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: EIF Reply with quote

I've done the English is Fun method, and I'd say it has its pros and cons. Firstly I've taught children before in Hong Kong, and I'm not saying I'm an expert but I had to really be creative and come up with most of the stuff myself. So going from that to a rigid timetable was hard. Asian kids obviously work harder and their parents expect more from them, but at times I wondered just what they were learning. It felt a little like I was babysitting the older ones, whilst they coloured in and sang songs.

But on the plus side as a teacher its really easy to plan! Everything is given to you and you have very little to do. Although the training course I felt covered most of the stuff that I had already picked up before, but then for new teachers I guess it would be useful... But still, I much prefer to use my brain a little bit more when teaching.
AMATHENY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: English is Fun in Bologna, Italy Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I have a job offer from English is Fun in Bologna and need to decide quickly whether to accept. Would appreciate any insights you can provide about the organization/experiences to share. Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: