Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visiting singapore's beaches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferryc2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: visiting singapore's beaches Reply with quote

I'm an ESL teacher flying through singapore and considering stopping over for a few days to visit the beaches and see singapore.

1 What would you recommend doing in singapore, especially the beaches? 2 I know hotels and food are quite expensive but can I get to a beach without spending too much on transportation?
3 I'm hoping to stay at a hostel to save some money and meet other travellers as I will be alone - any advice on a hostel or ways to meet other people?

Thanks for any info!
Sonja23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who grew up in Singapore I can hopefully provide you with some useful information... There are a few beaches on Singapore island itself - Changi being one which I currently recall. However, the beaches on the 'mainland' are nothing special. Most tourists (and Singaporeans) head off to Sentosa, which is a separate island under Singapore rule, for the beach. You can get to Sentosa by taking the cable car (most exciting method), ferry, or bus. You can purchase tickets for these at the World Trade Centre. It's not too expensive to go to Sentosa, certainly not when compared to transport in Western countries. There is an entrance fee though, if I remember correctly...

Food isn't expensive at all in Singapore! It really depends on what you're comparing the prices to. At the moment I live in England, where a McDonald's meal would probably set you back about 5pounds. In Singapore, you would get the same meal for S$5 (check xe.com, but the exchange rate is roughly S$1 to 0.03pounds).

As for ways to meet people.. well as an ex-resident of Singapore I never really had to go out to find people. But, I know lots of tourists and expats hang out at Boat Quay. Also, you can probably find cheap places to stay in Geyland - Singapore's 'red light district'.

Right, hope I've been of some service here. Some of my information may be dated... last time I was in Singapore was 2003, and things are always rapidly changing there. If there is anything else I can help with let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: