Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qualifications to teach English to refugees/asylum seekers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Londonlover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Qualifications to teach English to refugees/asylum seekers? Reply with quote

Anyone know if there are qualifications that specifically train you/qualify you to teach refugees and asylum seekers?
I'm just asking out of interest.
When I moved back to the U.K. recently after 5 years abroad, I thought I'd quite like the idea of getting into ESOL teaching at F.E colleges. However, I quickly realised that things had changed in the UK and in my absence a National ESOL curriculum had been set up ('The Skills for Life' thing) and I get the impression that having a CELTA and a PGCE and University teaching experience all count for nothing when it comes to those F.E. ESOL jobs because the colleges are looking only for people who have direct experience of working with the 'Skills for Life ESOL curriculum' for the teaching they do with refugees and asylum seekers. I would have thought that in London F.E. Colleges in particular its all about ESOL rather than EFL teaching. I don't think us normal TEFLers with our IH Task-based /language games approach are given a second look in the applications pile for the refugee focussed ESOL jobs, as we don't have that relevant experience. Anyone in the know here?
So for future reference are there specific ESOL Skills for Life training courses and certificates for teachers? Or does one just do some voluntary teaching with the Refugee Council to get the experience?
Will.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put your CV on top of the pile on the side for serious consideration. thye other pile is discarded without another look.
Don't knock yourself. You have much to offer even in ESOL. Experience counts. Most colleges wil expect you to complete the necessary qualifications for FE or HE teaching a Cert Ed or a Fento Level 4 qualification. A Dip/DELTA in itself is not sufficient as it lacks subject specification training, same for the CTEFL it is helpful though and desired in ESOL as is the CTESOL. Expect a CRB check if kids are involved.... they normally are, in many situations of refugee teaching a creche is involved. I don't know about any specific courses for teaching Asylum seekers and refugees although NIACE do/did deliver a series of training sessions for implementing the national Curriculm a few years ago and are still delivering them. Most useful.

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/curriculum_esol/
http://www.fento.org/
http://www.niace.org.uk/
http://www.esol-sig.org.uk/
http:/www.talent.ac.uk/
http://www.natecla.org.uk/
Londonlover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Will. Smile
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LL,

I got into FE teaching with only a CELTA and without overseas experience (I was career changer). The work was a bit part time, and then one college paid for me to do the C&G 4707 Part 1, but never completed part 2 as I moved colleges (those temp contracts) and couldn't do it at the other college.

I'm now in the Italian Alps; the snow is very good but as I'm setting up house and looking for work, I really can't afford to risk going skiing!

I wouldn't worry too much about specific qualifications as long as you are in the right place at the right time, and agree to additional training as outlined by Will. It's easier to get the subject specific level 4 training in London, I think, but the links Will has given you are very useful.

PS Hi Will!
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,
thanks for the advice.
I've enjoyed reading your postings on this forum.
So have you upped sticks and moved permanently to Italy? Or is that house a mountain lodge winter holiday home that you bought with all the big bucks you earned doing TEFL in our beloved UK ? Smile
Cheers
LondonL.
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LL,

It's merely one of my many residences, Monte Carlo, the pied-a-eau in Venice, the broom cupboard in Central London where I sleep upright, the place at Cowes I keep for the sailing and where I keep my Halberg-Rassy 42...

A move for a few years at least, although as Mum gets older I might want to return to the UK for her. For those readers on here who take things literally (not you LL!) the first paragraph was only in my imagination. Wouldn't mind crewing on a boat like that though.

Sue
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldn't mind crewing on a boat like that though.
A friend of mine gave up TEFLing in London to do precisely that. I don't know whatever possessed him Confused
John Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Qualifications to teach English to refugees/asylum seeke Reply with quote

Londonlover wrote:
I get the impression that having a CELTA and a PGCE and University teaching experience all count for nothing

I'd agree with the other posters. You've got an excellent CV. If you meet any idiots that suggest you haven't ignore them and continue bashing away. I'm sure you'll meet someone somewhere who has the wits to realise you are a highly qualified experienced professional though you may well have to endure a few twits who don't even know what a CELTA means.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: