Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongolia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shooting Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Mongolia Reply with quote

Yes, I am aware that Mongolia is a separate country from China, but I thought anyone close can help me. I would like to teach there. I don't know how?? I have been around Asia for a while, almost 4 years been in Korea and Taiwan and now China. I would like something that I feel to be exotic. The wage? I am not so concerned with that. 500 US a month I think is the going rate. ( Many expats have talked about Mongolia) Roger, maybe you will be in the know, I can see that you have helped a lot of people in this great land. Anyway I hope someone can hook me up or point me in the right direction. Also I don't have any idea of qualifications I have a BA and experience. Thanks best regards.
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends in Inner Mongolia. You might want to start there. Mongolia is a huge place with few people and little demand for a foreign teacher. Granted i know little. Russia pulled out...economic collapse...right now realitively better, but I find 500 US a month very optimistic. Are you sure? Most schools in Inner Mongolia can not pay that much. I would be surprised if Mongolia could pay $250 a month. I think there is really only one city in Mongolia. Have you done a search on it and colleges?
(I think even the Russians skip Mongolia, and come to Inner Mongolia to teach)
Shooting Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks. It is kind of a dream to go there. I have looked at some places all I can find on the net. Inner Mongolia is interesting too. I finnish my contract April 23 then I am free to travel. If you Know any good places to teach in Inner Mongolia I would love to hear about them. I have no problem with teaching children. A decent salery and working conditions are what I would expect. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Shootingstar,

I am afraid I can't add much to what has already been said. Last time I transited Mongolia (Ulaan Batar),l was in the early 1990's! Since then, the Russians have withdrawn, and foreign-aid organisations have moved in. One of them is called SANTIS, but I have no clear idea of them. The name sounds like the name of the peak in the European alps to me (seriously!). It might be a Swiss-based charity, but I am not familiar with such organisations.

And, yes, I do believe you can't get more than US$ 250. I remember many Mongolian nationals on the train from Moscow to Peking came to China - to do shopping for business purposes!

Why not give Inner Mongolia a try? It may be less idyllic, but it probably has more jobs! I have actually noticed a few job offers over the last couple of years!
eric the king

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Inner Mongolia.
There is an agent I have come accross in Beijing (or Peking as Roger curiously insists on calling it) who often adverises jobs in IM. Whether this agent is trustworthy or not, I have no idea. They offered me a job for 20,000 rmb per month as head of English at a Uni in IM's second city - believe me, I did not qualify (the agent anyway seemed more interested in my photograph).

Anyway, if you are interested, check out the jobs section on www.thatsbeijing.com - go back a few pages to get the right links. The agent's name is Alec. Most jobs are for RMB 8000 plus, but I guess they'd have to pay pretty high to get teachers to a shit-hole like IM.

Good luck
arioch36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning shooting star. I do have some friends from Inner Mongolia, as well as a Aussie who just came back from there. If you are seriously interested, you can e-mail me, I'll at least put you in touch with my friend from OZ. Colleges...well you have internet. Just let your fingers do the walking

Chris
arioch36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but most of the jobs I know of..we are talking minimum salary. I personally would be very suspicious of an add for a 8,000 RMB job in Inner Mongolia. Xinjiang has more money (so I believe)
Shooting Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone!! Much apreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: