Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chinaesl

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: chinaesl Reply with quote

Tread lightly, folks. www.chinaesl.com, run by Rebecca Tang, is a very unprofessional organization. Rebecca is a wheeler and a dealer who does anything for the fat check from her clients. Her juicy jobs suddenly disappear: "they just told me no teachers needed." She bad mouths her alma mater, Behishida. And she tells the prospective teacher one thing and her client (school) another thus resulting in contract and/or living problems. She will not meet you at the airport but at the Xidan KFC--and she will be 30 mins late, talking on the phone as if she's terribly, terribly busy a la PR man in "Telephone Booth." She won't pay for your bus ticket from the airport; she won't pay for your overnight stay in a hotel, which just happens to be the hotel in which her 5th floor office is located. She has been in Beijing for upwards of six years and doesn't even know where the (intra-china) bus station is!
minna
rocketboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found this post about ChinaESL. I was considering taking a psition through this women, but after reading this, I'm having doubts Shocked
Has anyone had dealings with China ESL or second what minna had to say about China ESL.

Cheers Rocketboy
clark.w.griswald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: chinaesl Reply with quote

Have you got a link to their website? The one in the original post does not seem to be correct. It takes me to a generic website with google ads but no information about jobs in China nor a recruitment company.

minna wrote:
Her juicy jobs suddenly disappear: "they just told me no teachers needed."

Bait and switch is a problem with some recruiters, but then there are legitimate cases whereby an advertised position is filled without the recruiter knowing about it. The recruiter only then finds out after you have indicated an interest in the job. If it happens once it could be a legitimate case, but if it happens frequently then it is likely an indicative of bait and switch. I wonder if Minna is referring to one case or several.

minna wrote:
She bad mouths her alma mater, Behishida.

The relevance to foreign teachers being...?

minna wrote:
And she tells the prospective teacher one thing and her client (school) another thus resulting in contract and/or living problems.

Any examples of what this entails?

minna wrote:
She will not meet you at the airport but at the Xidan KFC

I wonder what does she tell you she will do. Does she tell you that she will meet you at the airport and then fail to show? Or does she tell you that she will meet you in town?

minna wrote:
--and she will be 30 mins late, talking on the phone as if she's terribly, terribly busy a la PR man in "Telephone Booth."

Tardiness is certainly a problem, especially if you are standing on a street corner in an unfamiliar city waiting for someone. Chinese are not known for their punctuality but this is no excuse. She should be on time.

minna wrote:
She won't pay for your bus ticket from the airport; she won't pay for your overnight stay in a hotel,

Did she say that she would do this only to revoke her offer after you arrived? What did she say about this before you arrived?

minna wrote:
which just happens to be the hotel in which her 5th floor office is located.

And this means what? I assume that she chooses this hotel for the very fact that it is in the same building as her office. That makes sense to me. Does she prevent you from finding your own hotel, or does she merely introduce you to this one as one she knows?

minna wrote:
She has been in Beijing for upwards of six years and doesn't even know where the (intra-china) bus station is!

Maybe I have been in China too long but I am not surprised by the above. I am constantly amazed at how people who have grown up in a city often don't know where things are nor how to get to places in their own city. I don't think that the above is terribly surprising. Why not just buy a map and then you don't need to worry about how much she does or doesn't know about the city?

Rocketboy - I know nothing about this company, but I can't see much reason to avoid the company based simply upon this post. I think that you should be wary of a possible bait and switch whereby she offers you a good job upfront only to change this to a less attractive offer once you get here. Other than that I think that you should seek more information from her on positions. Ask her for contacts of previous and/or current teachers. Tell her the cities that you will accept, the hours that you will accept, the pay that you will accept, and the type of students that you will teach. Tell her that if she offers you anything outside of this that you reserve the right to refuse. Give her a chance to show you what she has got as you have nothing to lose. Just exercise care before comitting yourself to a job.
rocketboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Clarke.w.g.

I've sent a pm to the poster to find out more about what happen to her.

Can't get their website as well.

I've also done a search in the local Beijing expat magazines and posted a tread, but nothing has turned up yet.

The position she has advertised is what I want anyway, the salary, the location and number of working hours. I have never been screwed before teaching in China, but don't want this to be the first time. Asked her for the contact number of someone(the Chinese Teacher in charge of foreign affairs) at the school twice in the last few days, but she hasn't yet given them to me.

Clarke, I also agree with you, a lot of Chinese don't know much about where things are in their cities. Most folks have never even been out of their cities.
minna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. . .say what you will. Let's see. . .most recruiters will meet you at the airport, will pay for your hotel--and not take you to a hotel that will charge you more on a deal with, in this case, Rebecca.

You know. . .go ahead and play devil's advocate. Work with her and find yourself looking at more hours and less pay--even after signing a contract. . .for another place. Get the idea?

Would you bad mouth your alma mater? I can say things about my course of study (doctoral level) but I'd not bad mouth the school as, at the time I was there, it was one of the top 10 for theatre.

Keep on keeping on. Yes. If you're running a business that utilizes buses, trains, etc. you damn well better know where the stations are. It's called efficienty and professionalism, perhaps.

If you want to trust yourself, and refer without any first hand knowledge another, to an unreliable individual, please do so by all means.
minna
clark.w.griswald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minna it was just not clear to me why others should be wary of this company. I understand that you were not happy with the services provided, and you have the right to voice your dissatisfaction, but I just wanted to point out for the other person interested in that company that they may want to still consider the company - just exercise care.

minna wrote:
Well. . .say what you will. Let's see. . .most recruiters will meet you at the airport, will pay for your hotel--and not take you to a hotel that will charge you more on a deal with, in this case, Rebecca.

I would say that it is the choice of the recruiter as to whether he or she does or doesn't do this. Provided that it is clear upfront and you accept the terms then I don't see that it is cause for complaint. If you want to be picked up from the airport then go with a company that offers this. If you want the job that Rebecca offers you then accept the terms that she offers you this job under.

So did she state that she would pick you up from the airport and then fail to show? Or was the arrangement that she would meet you downtown?

minna wrote:
You know. . .go ahead and play devil's advocate. Work with her and find yourself looking at more hours and less pay--even after signing a contract. . .for another place. Get the idea?

So you are suggesting that you signed a contract for a certain number of hours and a certain pay rate, yet this contract was not honored and you were offered more hours for less pay. Is that what you are saying? If so then obviously that is wrong and others dealing with this company should be wary.

Or are you saying that you accepted a position that offered less pay for more hours than you expected and then came to regret your decision? Again, you are not wrong to dislike the terms but if they were made clear to you when you signed the contract and you agreed to them then I fail to see how your later dissatisfaction is the fault of the recruiter, or the school for that matter. They offered you a deal, you accepted. That's it.

minna wrote:
Would you bad mouth your alma mater? I can say things about my course of study (doctoral level) but I'd not bad mouth the school as, at the time I was there, it was one of the top 10 for theatre.

You may not do this, nor may I, but does this mean that her company be avoided just because she does?

minna wrote:
If you're running a business that utilizes buses, trains, etc. you damn well better know where the stations are. It's called efficienty and professionalism, perhaps.

Well as you may have noticed Chinese people in general are not known for their efficiency and professionalism. My suggestion is that if you want western levels of service that you stick with western style positions such as those offered by international schools. A far more competitive area of the market as far as getting jobs, but with all the mod cons of back home and the service that you would expect of such a school.
rocketboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've email Rebecca Tang again yesterday requesting more information, but haven't heard from her again yet.
clark.w.griswald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketboy wrote:
Well, I've email Rebecca Tang again yesterday requesting more information, but haven't heard from her again yet.

Looks like Minna is spot on about the unprofessionalism. That's one black mark against this recruiter in my opinion.

Let's see how she goes with the information part of things when and if she finally does reply.
rocketboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that taking this job isn't a good idea.

As I have received an email from ChinaESL today, what minna has said is starting to make sense.

I asked Rebecca Tang for the contact teacher's phone number at the school and she said "The school person's contact number is not convienent to give you because they didn't pay my introduction fee yet. But you can meet him in Beijing when you arrive". (That made statement made me laugh)

She also stated that when I arrive at the airport, catch the airport bus to Xi dan and wait outside KFC for her. My god!!!!! What if someone didn't know Beijing at all or you have never been to China before, and can't speak the language!!! none of those bus drivers in BJ can speak English. Beijing is a huge city, you would be up the creek without a paddle. Of all the jobs(2) I've had here, someone has always met me at the place of arrival (the Chinese always insist on this, in my experience) and haven't had any problems.

The visa situation.................I won't even bother going there!
clark.w.griswald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that asking teachers to get into town is less helpful than her taking the time to do an airport pickup. At least she tells you upfront however so that you can make the decision to find work elsewhere - which you will apparently be doing.

I can understand her point about not wanting to allow you to contact the school, but she should definitely put you in contact with current or past foreign teachers from the school. I would be very wary about accepting any position for which this was an issue.

Good luck in your job search.
AnomanderRake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca is something other than a recruiter. If you interview with a school through her you can never work for that school! She has teachers sign a contract directly with her, not the school. She takes half your monthly pay and gives no benefits. The contracts state that you can't ever be hired directly by the school and she pays off administration to keep them happy. She is not trustworthy and has been caught in several lies including incorrect pay.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: