Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japan/China Comparisons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homersimpson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Japan/China Comparisons? Reply with quote

Can anyone provide some realistic comparisons of Japan and China based on experience? I'm currently teaching at a junior high school in Japan and would consider a similar opportunity in China. The kids at my school are not perfect, of course, but generally I find them to be respectful and easy to deal with. How would you describe elementary/junior high school age children in China? (I know, I'm looking for a gross generalization here, but any opinions would be helpful). Thanks! Smile
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have experience with private schools, which are probably different from public schools in China. The classes seem to be as good as your Chinese co-teacher. My grade 4 classes are the best classes you could imagine, all the students are keen to learn and always volunteer. Grades 5 and 6 are nightmares, because the teachers aren't so good added to the general lack of discipline at private schools. The teacher who teaches grade 4 also teaches grade 1, and grade 1 is also an excellent class. The teacher who teaches grades 2 and 3 only plays games and teaches them songs, so that's all they want to do and complain loudly when they actually have to learn something. When I taught Jr. middle school, grade 1 Junior was a nightmare, as well, but grade 2 was good. Again, it was because of the the teachers. Grade 1 Jr. was particularly bad as the teachers obviously didn't care at all about what they were doing and the whole grade suffered. We're talking lighting things on fire during class and hitting each other with their desks. And there's little you can do to stop them short of resorting to corporal punishment, which you obviously can't do.
In China the child is king!
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seldom gets mentioned here, but I know it is a sore point: Discipline!

It seems Chinese teachers don't care enough about this: Their students don't keep silent for any three minutes unless the teacher drills words and phrases. They get inured to doing things together, chorussing and repeating after the teacher.
When an expat teacher stands in front of them, they have for the first time (perhaps) got to listen to someone, and answer that person individually. That is new to all of them.

What with very large classes of 40 and more kids, you can't maintain an ideal teaching/practising atmosphere. Some kids will always have their private conversations. I don't know if Japanese students act that way too. What I do know is that some Chinese teachers feel frustrated enough to vent their anger on occasion, yet they are not able to bring about a lasting change to the behaviour of their students. In the end, local teachers simply put up with the distractions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: