Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conditons in Israel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was responding to your aggressive tone. I was very hurt by it.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: hurt ? Reply with quote

World War 3 is in the making in the Middle East and you are hurt by something you read in cyberspace ?
Ixchel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Lisa Girl wrote:
I was responding to your aggressive tone. I was very hurt by it.

Hi Lisa,

I too was a career teacher ( just left the profession after 16 years of exhaustion and low salaries) and while at the beginning of my career I would have worked at a franchise school by the end I too, expected more money and benefits. You seem to have a postive attitude and appear to be a very professional teacher. If this lifestyle is working for you then keep at it and don't waste your time answering ugly posts from people who are jealous of your youth and freedom.
Kind regards,
(another Very Happy ) Lisa R.
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Lisa. Smile

You're right, the guy's not worth it. Obviously someone so insensitive, arrogant, and incapable of responding to human emotion is beyond help. I'm going to channel my energy into more positive endeavors.
AKA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three posters on the Israel forum have interesting viewpoints.
If you shared a flat you'd probably save a lot of time, but your keyboard skills would go down hill.
OK, tell me to bog off: fair comment.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, correct me if I am missing something, but at no point did Scot47 mention that he even worked in Israel. So, for all the bantering back and forth, do you, Scot actually have experience working in Israel? :?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: zion Reply with quote

First hand experience is not the only source of information. I have never visited Antarctica but I know that it is cold there.

I have never taught in Israel but I have other sources of information.
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAH! I knew it! SweetOne, you've blown his cover!!!

Scot, you might have heard that Antarctica's cold, but until you've actually been there, you don't actually know that it is. In other words, you don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to giving out advice about what the place is actually like, or what kind of situation one might encounter upon attempting to live there. I've heard lots of things about other parts of the world myself, but unless I have first-hand experience of the place I'm not going to pass myself off as an authority the way you (poorly) attempted to.

You can tell your "sources" that they're sadly biased and out of date. In the future, leave the advice on this subject to someone who's actually lived and taught there, dude.
AKA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This debate is way too heavy for us China dudes man.
Do you always talk like The Simpsons' "Otto Man"?
Are there really only two posters living in Israel?
Does this forum represent life in Israel generally? Personally I think the risk of getting blown up when minding my own business would be all the excitement I'd need.
Good luck!
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Otto Man!" LOL!

No, I don't always talk like Otto, but thanks for the compliment. Smile

When I was in Israel two years ago, the situation was pretty much the same as it is now, with periodic suicide bomb attacks on crowded areas like buses, shopping malls, etc. From an outsider's perspective, it seems extremely dangerous to be living in a place where such a threat exists, and I'll be honest, at times it was extremely hard to be living there, but the reality is that statistically speaking, the chances of getting blown up in a terrorist attack are actually EXTREMELY low. Being Jewish, I suppose it was easier for me to feel at home there, although there were actually many non-Jewish teachers at the school I taught at, including the Academic Director, who was from New Zealand and had been living there happily for many years. Israel, or any other Middle Eastern country, can be a shock to the system at first...many people there seem very rude or aggressive by our standards. I'm Canadian, so for me especially, this was hard to cope with, but eventually I grew to understand that although people's manners were often quite brusque, they were much more sincere and genuinely kind than most of the people I would meet here in Toronto. A person in a store or market place might not say "excuse me" when bumping into you, but they'd help you out in a minute, take you into their home and feed you if you needed anything.

Life in Tel Aviv was hard - but very sweet. Climate-wise, the winter was cool (between 5-10 degrees on an average day) and rainy, but there were days of sun that went above 20 degrees. Spring starts in February with a huge profusion of colour and the scent of orange blossoms in the air. Summer's very hot and humid, but less humid if you're living in the southern Negev desert region, which is actually much much safer than the North or the Tel Aviv/Sharon region. Eilat, which is the southernmost city on the Dead Sea, is a tourist town that has not been hit ONCE by terrorists. If you can find a teaching position there, you are SET, but you have to be able to tolerate extremely high temperatures in the summer (up to 40 degrees).

Israeli students are an incredibly diverse group of people. About a third of my students were Russian, and as such, were products of the Communist school system. They were much stronger in grammar than native Israelis, but were much less fluent and less willing to take risks in making mistakes. I taught Orthodox Jews, Romanian immigrants, native Israelis, teenagers and young adults in the army, housewives, a few Arabic people...they were absolutely wonderful, sometimes challenging when it came to classsroom management, but overall, an absolute pleasure.

I just found a great website, http://www.etni.org.il/ , which is the English Teachers Network of Israel. They have lots of great job links, job postings, and excellent resources and information about teaching in Israel. I wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
Lisa Richter
Toronto, Canada
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. If you are Jewish you can get a job. What about those who are not ? The "Right of Return" as far as I know only applies to those who are Jewish. What about the gentiles amongst us ?
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, as I had previously mentioned, the Director of Studies at the main Tel Aviv location was not Jewish. He was a Catholic New Zealander, as I recall. There were many teachers there were were not Jewish, as well. Once you have been hired, the school can write a letter on your behalf, stating that as a native English speaker, you have special qualifications and as such are required to work for their company. I'm not sure what all the requirements are for getting a work visa, but I know that it's possible. If you are Jewish, it helps to speed up the process. If you provide some sort of proof that you are Jewish (i.e. your parents' "k'tuba," meaning marriage certificate), a letter from a rabbi, or something like that, then you can take these documents with you, along with your employer's letter, and get the visa almost immediately. The "right of return" basically entitles any Jew in the world citizenship in Israel, as well as other benefits, including higher education and various subsidized living costs. There are many non-Jews (especially British, South African and American) living and working in Israel, too. If anyone is serious about living and working in Israel, ask your local Israeli consulate.

Lisa R.
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was in Israel and it was not as dangerous as the media makes it. Everyone at home was afraid for our lives, sure there were terrorists bombing, but it wasn't that bad.
el_gringo_que_viaja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny that when you refer to Israel being safe, you only mention terrorist bombings. My experience was a bit different. I felt very unsafe with so many IDF checkpoints and trigger happy settlers running around with guns in every mall and holy site. I went to witness a peaceful protest against the wall,where the protestors were Israelis, Palestinians, and Internationals, and the IDF shot two people without warning shots. I didn't feel safe with 18 year olds shooting at me..... maybe that's just me. Also, I didn't feel safe getting harassed at the checkpoints.
guangho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Work in Israel Reply with quote

About a year ago, I was talking to the Israel News Network about working with them. (I am a copyeditor, now in southern China). Their scrumptious offer was 70 dollars a month and a bus pass, plus a spot at an absorption center. (Kfar Saba, as I recall.) When I asked about the small matter of a plane ticket, they advised that I should be a schnorrer (beggar) in the synagogues of New York and raise the plane ticket money that way.

As much as I love Israel itself (the coast and the Gaillee in particular) I would have a very hard time making myself seek employment there again. They treat North Americans as semi-retarded benefactors who can be squeezed dry at the drop of a hat and then disposed of. Generally, Israelis feel (and not without justification-just look at Europe) intensely victimzed and bitter towards the West. They look on Americans who come to Eretz Israel as over-fed failures who can nonetheless be taken advantage of. Leaving aside that I am Eastern European and that my family-those who survived the camps anyway- were among the first to come to Palestine in '47-'48, I refuse to buy into Israeli victimhood and assuge the guilt I am supposed to feel by allowing myself to be exploited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Israel All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: