Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arriving in Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah56

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Arriving in Cairo Reply with quote

Dear All

I am planning on booking a one way flight to Cairo at the end of April after a wonderful holiday there in March I now want to go back and teach! Unfortunately I have tried every possible site/search via internet for finding work and it just doesn't seem to be going in my favour...hence why I plan to book a flight and just try my luck.

If anyone has any advice or pointers in the right direction...or if you are in Cairo yourself it would be nice to made links with you, please get in touch!

Look forward to hearing from you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any credentials or experience?

I would suggest that you have access to enough money to live for a few months. The pay is very low, and getting set up can be a bit expensive.

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with VS - although finding a job isn't exactly difficult, particularly if you want to teach adults, starting pay is very low, and a flat can be pretty expensive. If you have a TESOL certificate, you should be able to find something pretty easily, although working in the international schools or anything like that would be a problem without either a lot of experience or a Masters degree.
However, there are things available that can keep your head above water, just follow VS's advice and make sure you bring enough to get set up on.
sarah56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the advice, I have a TEFL Certificate - I am looking for a career change after 9 years office work I realise (yes it took me a whole 9 years!) that it really isn't very rewarding and so I took a TEFL Course and then after my holiday in Egypt I really do want to go back!

Unfortunately I do not have a BA that from my searches the last couple of month so many teaching jobs require...I just have enthusiasm and a strong desire to get in the classroom!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your lack of a BA will put you at a definite disadvantage in the job market. But, if money is no object... just a change of life to something a bit more interesting... Cairo can provide that. Laughing

Just make sure that you at least have the price of a ticket home (or a credit card to pay for it) just in case you need it.... sort of a security blanket. And on those days that the life of Cairo is a bit more of an adventure than you were expecting, you can tell youself that home is still there and you can escape if you really want to. Cool

VS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: coming without a job? Reply with quote

Coming without a job will put you at a serious disadvantage.

You will be fortunate to make much more than 800-1000 USD/mo.

The disciplinary problems here are difficult to explain, if you've never taught here before -- it would sound like I were exaggerating or complaining too much.

But most of your energy will be spent in classroom management, and outright yelling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: