Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info on prospective new school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klasies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Info on prospective new school Reply with quote

Hi there everyone

Just need some input regarding a new school that I may be going to in July for my next stint of teaching. It is a school in Haikou, the capital city of Hainan. The name of the school is Yuda Foreign Language School. It seems above board and I have followed all the normal check systems of starting at a new school and they seem to be a well-organized and legit educational institution. I can�t seem to find any negative comments on the net, but I was just wondering if anybody had heard of some bad experiences there.
We are a teaching couple with an 11-year-old daughter and two years of University and school teaching experience. We are both 42 and have University degrees and TEFL certification. Have taught at the same University in the north for 2 years and now want to go to place that is warmer than �40 in the winter.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Andre Question
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Hainan Island, though not Haikou as a city. Your school might be nice, though. Getting around Hainan is not difficult. Good beaches, good air, many interesting scenic spots now.

But pay generally is inadequate. Besides, what is the opinion of your daughter? How about her schooling?

That would be my principal consideration!
klasies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger

Thanks for your reply. Yes Hainan is great, we have just come back from a 3 week holiday on the island and it is great. True, Sanya is the better of the two towns, but there are no English language schools in Sanya. the pay is quite a bit ot lower than what I am getting now, but when you compare the environment there to here, one has to make a compromise in certain spheres,"Cold weather-good salary vs Great weather-lower salary."
Sure my daughter's education is a concern and is in fact one of my reasons for going south, in order for her to continue her education within the Chinese educational system. (yes, she is fleunt in Manderin and Cantonese, although, she may sruggle with the local Hainanese on the island.)

Cheers
Andre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: