Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Romania.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Working in Romania. Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking into the possibility of working in Romania. I have been teaching English for five years and have a CELTA certificate. However, I do not have a degree. I am a British/EU citizen.

I take my work seriously and have been successful until now. I am NOT a "backpacker" teacher; I don't use teaching as a vehicle for travel and I give 100% to all my classes.

a) Is it possible to work legally in Romania with experience/cert. or is a degree a requirement? How is the application process?

b) Are there any other teaching or language related possibilities in Romania? I love working with languages and would consider other options too. I'd prefer teaching English but if not having a degree meant it wasn't an option, I would consider other related fields. Money isn't a concern.

c) Finally, is it possible to work there illegally?

Best regards.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also interested in teaching in Romania, eventually, but not now. I'd like to settle down there. Unlike you, I do use teaching as a way to see the world. BUt do give 100% and stay in one place for at least a year. I want to experience new cultures and work with refugees and immigrants in Romania. So I figure this will help and I love teaching.

To answer some of your questions.
A UK based programme called SOL, Sharing Our Language. http://www.sol.org.uk
allows people to teach there for at least a school year. Sept to July. They pay local wages about 100 pounds a month or so. I think they require a degree, but might bend the rules.

http://www.tefl.com has a few jobs now and then, there's currently one know. There is a job that needs teachers in October.

The PeaceCorps might also be an option, offically it's only for US citizens, though I know that they make exceptions. http://www.peacecorps.gov

The British Council in Romania can help. Go to their website http://www.britishcouncil.ro
Then go to FAQs on the left side and there's a Q about jobs there. Here's what it says.
If you are a qualified native speaker teacher of English, you can contact our Senior Teacher at [email protected] or at the English Teaching Centre for information about teaching vacancies.

http://www.volunteerabroad.com usually has postings. Most of them require you to pay. Some don't. Lots are for teaching young children. Here's an example.

language required: English
qualifications / skills needed: Native English teachers who are able to teach 3 - 7 year old kids :English, art, music, dance, etc. Skills needed: native speaker, dedicated and very serious and available for minimum of six months.
The kindergarten is in the middle of Bucharest, in a very elegant area with a lot of gardnes and interesting places to visit.
description: Three volunteer teachers needed to work as a team in a Kindergarten in Romania. We offer very good facilities and housing will be provided, breakfast, lunch and dinner, excursions, etc. Typically, the teachers will work about 25 hours each week and they will recive 100EURO every month for extra expensive. The goal of our kindergarten is to be a special place, where the child's curiosity and love for learning and for art is encouraged and nurtured. Our well-trained staff supervises and engages the children in various activities. Our students are involved in many artistic programmes such as television shows, artistic movies, and fashion shows. This year we want to start a new project, to start a permanent colaboration with native speakers of English language to introduce English as a second language in our kindergarten and to learn more about your culture and your life experience.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be part of a multi-cultural team of professionals working together to be a high Bilingual Preschool. Three volunteers will be expected to help out part time teaching, reading in English or leading art, music, or dance.
salary / pay: 150 EURO/ month

1. Since they will be joining the EU soon, it should be easy for you to get a job. BUt, I think they want you to have a degree.

2. French and English, Possibly Russian and German are langauge possibilities. Do you speak Romanian? It might be easier for you to find a job then.

3. There's always illegal work in every country. Just know that your employer could screw you over and there's nothing that you can do.

I know that Rogan has taught there years and years ago. chelsea and kerohaha are also interested in teaching there. PM them. They might be able to help.

Best of luck. Let us know what happens.!

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Romania Reply with quote

"I want to experience new cultures and work with refugees and immigrants in Romania."

IMMIGRANTS in Romania ?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict that there will be immigrants when they join the EU. From East of Romania, the -stan countries and Russia.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRom Moldova maybe becasue of the linguistic, historical and cultural links.

I would be doubtful about anyone from other parts of the CIS moving to Romania. And if they did why would they want to learn English ? I would have thought Romanian would be more useful.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world's getting small, English is the global language. Now's a wonderful time to learn English. As we can all see, that's why we have jobs.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Global English Reply with quote

The global SECOND language, please.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying that an Uzbek or Kazakh going to Romania is going to learn English ? MMMMMMM ?

Seems to me that like many in this field you exaggerate the importance of English. Most of the population of this planet seem to manage their lives perfectly well without English !

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:00 am; edited 2 times in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Global English Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:

What's the global first language then?
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Global English Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
grahamb wrote:

What's the global first language then?

Chinese!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Chinese is the most spoken, but I don't see people in other countries scrambling to learn it. Let me rephrase it, English is the language of business. When a person from China gets together with a person from Malaysia, they speak English.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Od dear Reply with quote

Naturegirl, you're confusing "the global second language" (my words) with "the second global language." The word order is rather important.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, whoops, you're right. No hard feelings.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: English in Romania Reply with quote

In any case I feel after my visits to Romania that people in that interesting country are more likely to learn Spanish, Italian or French. It is easier to learn another language in the same language family after all.

Last edited by scot47 on Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that'll increase my chances of getting a job, since I speak Spanish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: