Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL with Via Lingua

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diana83709

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: TEFL with Via Lingua Reply with quote

Both my husband and I took the TEFL course from Via Lingua in Corinth, Greece summer 2005. We both would highly recommend this certification course to anybody who wants to get TEFL certification. It is quite thorough as well as intense. While "teacher training", the materials provided were excellent. Peter Beech facilitates the course with an outstanding staff. Peter, Katharine and Dionysia did a superb job. If you want the TEFL certification, again, consider Via Lingua in Corinth, Greece. No regrets here. Take care, Diana and James Smile
jkazz7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Via Lingua, Corinth, Greece Reply with quote

I would agree with what Diana has posted here. I also took the course through Via Lingua in the summer of 2005.

The coursework itself was fairly intense as it was a 4 week course with a good mix between the basics of English language (grammar, phonology, etc...) with teaching methodology and ways to help ensure success in the classroom prior to doing the actual teaching...

My background had nothing to do with teaching prior to arrival. However, I did not have difficulty finding a job afterward and did in fact get placed through Via Lingua in a nice location. I am from America, not the EU.

Most of the students in my class were Americans and I believe all but one person got placed - again, there isn't a "guarantee" that you'll get placed, but if you put in some work for the 4 week coursework and act like someone that a school would like to hire (remember you are going to interview for a job and write up a Cv toward the end of the course) then it is likely you'll get placed - there are private English language schools all over Greece even in the smallest of towns.....

The school at which I work is a private school, or "frontisteria" as there are known in Greece, owned and operated by one family.

The family treats me very well and the students are great. I have never had any issues with receiving paychecks and the family goes out of there way to try to help me with anything, really....

The teaching at this school and I believe in most places in Greece is "book teaching" meaning that you're pretty much going straight out of a coursebook just like you may have done in America when you were a student....this makes lesson planning fairly simple.

If you're looking at adding new ideas to your lessons, probably not an issue (it hasn't been for me), but make sure you run it by the owner since they are your boss....

The accomodation I have is fine - it's not a mansion, but it is furnished with a kitchen, private bathroom ( I am the only native speaking teaching at the school anyway) and a bedroom which doubles as the living room as well...it is clean and kept at a warm enough temperature to be comfortable during the winter.

The room came with a TV with cable as well as a stereo.

The town itself is medium-sized for Greece (about 30,000). It has supermarkets, internet cafes, gyms etc...easily within walking distance (I don't have a car here and don't intend to acquire one). It does get a bit cold in the winter (I'm from Los Angeles), but not terribly cold. The owners did install new windows this past spring which helped a bit to keep the place warmer as well....

As for the people, I find the Greeks to be friendly and hospitable and quite respectful.

I completed my one year contract recently and am staying with the same school again for a second year and will likely continue to stay in Greece for quite some time as the people, culture, history and all are very much to my liking....

As for the money, what Via Lingua Corinth has posted at their website is accurate, at least in my case.....You can make more doing private lessons (I don't because having free time is more important to me) but it is a good idea to let your school know about it just as a professional courtesy....Your school may be able to help you get some extra classes, too....

I do save money from what I make, but I also don't go out to the bars so much....you CAN live on what you make comfortably - most of my savings through the year goes toward my travel during the summer - remember, the euro is about 20% stronger than the dollar right now - and many countries in the region (I'm in the Middle East right now travelling), have poor economies that stretch your money even further.

(As an example, here in Egypt I'm staying at a place charging about $4 per night for a room with AC and three beds with a private bathroom and shower - it's not a 5 star, but I'm a budget traveller and the room is clean....)

Also keep in mind that Athens can get you to Europe, Africa and Asia conveniently and cheaply to many locations....

If you're looking to teach English as a foreign language, you're likely someone who likes to travel (I do !!)...in Greece your contract will usually be during their school year which is mid-September through late-May which leaves over 3 months for travel or whatever (June, July, August, half of September).....

This is an actual experience post from someone who went through Via Lingua in Corinth and got placed directly through their placement program and is continuing to stay in Greece teaching English....
CPS1116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: TEFL with Via Lingua Crete Reply with quote

I just wanted to post to say that I completely agree with the others in this discussion. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher training course. The staff is knowledgable and supportive and the teaching practice is invaluable. As for location - you can't beat it!! The school is in the centre of town and the hotel you stay in is right on the beach - a great combination of hard work and relaxing in a beautiful place. Taking the course with Via Lingua Crete gave me the opportunities I needed to change my life and begin my TEFL career. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: