Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle School vs. Universities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnmc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Middle School vs. Universities Reply with quote

An old newbie (mid fifties male, no teaching experience) would like to know about the pros and cons of teaching Conversational English in middle school and universities, especially with regards to
*Preparation time for classes
*Size of classes
*Teacher accommodation on campus
*any other relevant information
I�ve noticed that the universities seem to require at least one years teaching experience. Why would this be and would it be difficult to get a job at a uni for me, because of this?
Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks
John
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will hate my answer, but I think it totally depends on the school for every question you asked. The high school I taught at divided the oral classes in half, 30 each. Overall, lesson preperation was easier OR ME in high school because...6 of the classes were the same, and (right or wrong) I worked from the stories they had in reading class) Maybe I was lazy or unimaginative, or maybe I was being smart, and gave them waht they really needed, but I had little lesson plan preperation time. This probably depends on the teacher. Most colleges i know you may teaching writing or other subjects
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have yoou considered the age of your students? So, do you think you can communicate effectively with them? I find the Chinese oral English mania crazy, and the earlier it starts the more stupid it sounds to me!@
Usually, you have a class of 50, sometimes 70 kids! They can be pretty unruly and talkative. Besides, their English is not settled.
You will be expected to regurgitate orally some memorised texts.

Many middle schools are new to scene, courtesy of China's entry into the WTO, and hiring an expat teacher is a prestige thing for them.
Your living quarters may be standard-Chinese, which might be a bit substandard by your own reckoning - squat toilet in your flat, no hot water (possibly), no fridge (sometimes), no aircon (although a couple of fans will be there).

Preparation time: Dep4ends on your experience and your expectations!
I find that improvising (if you have the gift for that) saves a lot of time!
Too well-prepared, and everything may go wrong! You will need a Plan B to fall back on!
Chinese students are not predictable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: