Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF Indonesia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it's not the cleanest place! How do you find it there? Do the positives outweigh the negatives?
willy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: its not bad Reply with quote

well if it wasnt for the coworkers i would have left. but the air may kill me anytime now.
will
dustyboat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: ef is ok Reply with quote

If you're after better money, try a national plus school. They pay about $1500 a month and throw in accomodation also
[quote]

hi there, could you give me any names of schools worth trying. I have a M.A and B.A Rolling Eyes
Wonder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also just been offered a job with EF. The person's name whom I am corresponding with is Gusti. She said there are four possible locations for me, and wasn't specific on where exactly I would be teaching.

Anyway, they offered about IDR 7.250 and I guess that's per year? If anyone could convert that into U.S. $$$ I would apreciate it.

I will not blindly sign a contract that is mailed to me, and I'm not sure what EF has in mind, but that's the way they like to do it here in Korea. That's because in Korea they pay for your flight, and want some assurance that you will be there, etc.

EF told me they will not pay for my flight, so I think I will continue with the application process, and check out the scenario when I arrive in Indonesia. Then at least I haven't committed to a contract that sound as though it pays 40 % below the average.

Yes, I have read all the nice posts on EF, but I do have two years ESL teaching exp., plus other credentials, and I certainly don't want to be shortchanged if in fact other more lucrative positions are available.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a money-monger...I simply want what I think I am worth. If in fact I cannot get a position that pays more like the average, then I will indeed hook up with EF. Other than the pay ( and the fact that I have to pay for shared accomodations), EF does sound like a well run organization.

I would appreciate any feedback at all on my ramblngs. By the way, the position I am being offered could be in Pluit, and should start in September.
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for an EF school in Jakarta. BTW Gusti is a man, not a woman.

The salary they offered you is per month: 7.25 mill Rp is about $900 US a month. It doesn't sound like much but it's actually quite a bit of money in Indonesia - yes, even in Jakarta.

Before I was hired here I saw several postings telling me that I couldn' t live comfortably in Jakarta on less than 8 mill Rp a month. That's crap. $7.25 mill is enough that you can live quite comfortably.
willy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: not Reply with quote

well i have just rented a house 2.5mil + 400-500 tho. foe elc + intenet amd phone 1mil thats 4 mil a month, lucky i drink at home not the bar and use the bus. anyway i am happy at home but going out eeack! not so good, thats Jakarta.

a new coworker left EF after a fight (ouch) with her boss.

well teaching is at the bottem here, 7.2 mil well as long as you are happy not going out much it`s you can do it
reality

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Not the best Choice Reply with quote

Cool
I guess 7.2 Million per month is fine, if you want to live like a student and
live and travel cheaply.

Living in Indonesia can be good fun, but you need money to have fun like in any country. You may discover many things are unaffordable and regret choosing EF. If the currency devalues.

Indonesians are very practical people, and go simply for the money. And believe me, money talks in Indonesia.
masuk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you got all the info you needed from the previous mails. Do remember there is life outside of Java! I've only worked for schools in Java, three years with EF schools, and found that EF West Jakarta are very fair in their dealing with staff, if the staff are also reasonable in their wants. Few schools pay for experience. If you want to avoid pollution, keep out of Jakarta. Almost every city has crowds and traffic problems, you can't avoid these. There are schools in Makassar, Sumatra so look for their adverts, which are not frequent.
masuk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: EF Indonesia Reply with quote

Canadian Couple wrote:
Hi!

We are in the middle of applying for ESL jobs with the English First company in Indonesia. Has anyone worked for them recently? Would you recommend working with them, or are they a company to avoid? Any info is appreciated! Especially about schools in West Jakarta.

Thanks!

EF Semarang are advertising for teachers now. A word of warning. The school buildings are nice, the teachers that I knew there were great people too, but I see they're asking for three new ones. Just be very very careful about the salary. It has been one of the lowest in the country, so compare with others before making a decision. Confused
Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: EF? Oh, you mean MacEF! See THIS link! Reply with quote

See:

http://www.englishfirst.com/partnersinfo/what.asp

for the connection between MacDonalds and EF!
willy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I GUESS THAT�S WHY THE LOW PAY, I HAVE MET MANY TEACHERS FROM THERE MOST NOT HAPPY THEY GO TO OTHER SCHOOLS TO GET MORE

EF 5-6.6 MIL? ILP 7-8MIL OR 10 MIL IN CORP. BUT CORP. MANAGEMENT IS VERY BAD; NO ONE STAYS FOR MORE THAN A YEAR! THAT SAYS IT ALL!

O AND NATIONAL + SCHOOLS PAY 15-17MIL OR INTERNAL SCHOOLS PAY US 1,800+++

SO AS YOU CAN SEE EF IS THE BOTTOM WELL UNLESS YOU DRIVE A BUS HA HA

Buy a Franchise
What made McDonald different?
Ray Kroc, the man who founded McDonald's, did not agree with how the franchise companies of his day operated. When he started in 1958, he realized that most franchisors were shortsighted and tried to make as much money up front as possible. They designed franchise packages which kept their franchisee's profits low, driving most out of business. In the end this system hurt everybody, including the franchisor. Ray Kroc believed franchising should work differently. As he put it, "If the franchisee doesn't make money, neither do we." Today McDonald's has over 14,000 restaurants all over the world. And McDonald's success shows how right ray Kroc was. At EF English First, proudly we honor this same ideal.

THIS IS FROM http://www.englishfirst.com/partnersinfo/what.asp
Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This statement should be etched on the foreheads of every EF employee.

Spread the word.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: