Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health and Safety law

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lolwhites

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Health and Safety law Reply with quote

Given the number of mentions H&S gets when people criticise schools, I thought people might be interested in the ACAS guide. It states the law in plain English, and it's important to remember that it applies right from day one, unlike certain employment rights which you don't get in the UK until 12 months. For example, employers MUST consult on H&S matters even where there in no recognised trade union.

The Trade Union Reform and Employment Rights Act 1993 provides protection against dismissal, or other detrimental action short of dismissal, for health and safety representatives and other employees in particular circumstances where health and safety is an issue. Employees who claim this right has been violated can complain to an employment tribunal, irrespective of their length of service.

ACAS - Health and Safety
ACAS - Health and Safety - involving employees
ACAS - Advisory booklet - Health and Employment
SandyM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is an extremely interesting little point (or two) to have made, lolwhites - thanks very much! Many of the 'issues' that come up on summer camps can be related to Health and Safety, I reckon.

Also, there's the aspect of supervision of children, which is usually inadequate and could (or should) involve the Social Services. Do you know where we can find info on this matter too, lolwhites?

BTW, have you thought of approaching the EL Gazette (www.elgazette.com) with a view to writing an article for them on these subjects? They're usually quite keen to sponsor articles of wider interest, I've found (I'm being serious here, actually!).

Anyway, thanks again for the useful stuff.

Sandy
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned H&S to a poster regarding her experiences in Weymouth. I've been fortunate in my summer school experiences with only minor niggles and occasional sulky French animateurs who did most of the supervision, thank goodness. But I do recognise the truth in the reports I read, and feel that the biggest weapon to use against intransigent employers, should it be so needed, is H&S. So where appropriate a copy of your resignation letter to HSE and so forth.

I was approached last summer by a new employer as they were desperate for teachers and had been given my name, but the vagueness of the job spec and commitment in hours (and, as ever, the pay!), charming as the lady was, made me turn the offer down. I think people need to be a bit more selective in the jobs they accept, although getting information I realise, can be difficult.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't have any info to hand about Social Services. One more piece of advice when raising H&S issues is to do so by email - and keep a copy in your "Sent mail" folder. That way you have concrete proof that you raised the issue on a given date.

Hadn't thought about contacting EL Gazette - thanks for the suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: