Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rent in Athens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catnip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Rent in Athens Reply with quote

Hi sorry about the last post, I cut off the header. I wanted to know the price of an apartment studio or one bedroom in Athens. The low end of the rent scale and on public transit. Thank you[/b]
mdb76

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I have just returned from Greece on holiday and the median price for a nice place would be aroun 550 - 700 Euro. You can however get places as low as 350 euro but these would be snapped up and at that price there will be a reason why it is cheap. I saw one place advertised relatively central to Athens for 350 ( 1 bedroom appartment) which was cheap because it had no balcony. (That was the reason given). I will note that I did not view the appartment myself. From what I could gather from the papers and from the friends we made over there, you should be able to find something for around 500euro a month easily.

This is probably expensive for ESL teacher. A flat share arrangement would be a good idea, perhaps with another ESL teacher. From what I gather, Greece is a popular desination for ESL teachers so I imagine that finding someone suitable to share with wouldn't be a great problem.

If you are interested in venturing outside of Athens, then perhaps you could find some cheap winter accomodation in one of the hotels. I recently priced a hotel for 250 euro a month during the off season. This would be a good way to get settled while looking for somewhere better.

Hope this helps. Remember I am not experienced but did pay attention while on holiday as I am interested in moving there myself.

M.
southeastjerome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: rent Reply with quote

Like many things in Greece, finding a good place at a reasonable rate depends on whom you know and how you present yourself. I've lived in Athens twice for spans of four months each time (the first time was in early '03 when I was attending university there and the second time was during the Olympics in mid/late '04). Anyway, the first time I lived there I had a flat provided by my school, but the second time I found a place located in the middle of the street exactly one block behind the American Embassy (look out for rockets). I paid 450 euro per month plus utilities, but the place was furnished and I was able to sign a 4 month, and not 12 month, agreement. The place had roaches and some of the appliances didn't work, but the area was nice and you're close to all of the good stuff, including transportation.

I think that you can do better than I did; I'm thinking about going back and it seems that much nicer places are available for the 450 euro price. You might want to check for places in Neo Faliro, such as this one http://athens.craigslist.org/apa/258882251.html , because they are cheaper than places in central Athens. Of course, that makes getting to the center a little more time consuming and, if you're like me, you might want to just walk out your door and be in the thick of it.

Anyway, I'd advise against trying to set something up in advance (get some leads but check them out in person). Everyone I've negotiated with over the Net or phone has been somewhat slippery on the details, so it's probably better to talk to them in person. And by all means keep records of what they say because they change prices and details frequently (it's the Greek way). So, pick a few spots, show up, stay in a hotel for a few days, and visit some places and pick one you like. Don't be afraid to barter a little, either; you probably shouldn't have to pay their initial asking price. I hope this helps. I know some people in Athens so let me know if you need any help and I will see if they can assist you.
mdb76

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to reply. Thank you for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. An appartment would be nice although I am wondering if a simple room to rent would be good enough. I plan on living on souvlaki for the time with the occaisional taverna visit to no real need to cook facilities. I heard you can find rooms to rent through the tourist police. Have you known similar?

The only problem I have not lining up something first is having nowhere to go, although I gather that Winter in Greece is easy pickings for accomodation??

I have been quoted 250Euro/month for a place in Chania, Crete which seems an excellent price. I do like the idea though of playing it by ear - I think the spontaneity would be good for me.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mame du Bois
southeastjerome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

mdb76 wrote:
Hi, Thank you for taking the time to reply. Thank you for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. An appartment would be nice although I am wondering if a simple room to rent would be good enough. I plan on living on souvlaki for the time with the occaisional taverna visit to no real need to cook facilities. I heard you can find rooms to rent through the tourist police. Have you known similar?

The only problem I have not lining up something first is having nowhere to go, although I gather that Winter in Greece is easy pickings for accomodation??

I have been quoted 250Euro/month for a place in Chania, Crete which seems an excellent price. I do like the idea though of playing it by ear - I think the spontaneity would be good for me.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mame du Bois

I'm sure you can line something up through the tourist police, though I've never done so. I showed up with my bags in hand, walked until I found a hotel, then searched a few days for an apartment until I found something. If you're not comfortable being quite THAT spontaneous, then perhaps you can book a hotel in advance but not an apartment. And you're right; this IS a good time to find a place because not only is it offseason but there is little demand for places.

Also, even if you don't get a place that has appliances, you can invest in a hot plate/mini stove top device for about 30 euros. In the end that investment will pay off because rice, pasta and fresh vegetables are cheap in Greece and eating souvlaki all the time can get pricey (but never old!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: