Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Social Club for Foreign Teachers in Guangzhou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Social Club for Foreign Teachers in Guangzhou Reply with quote

Dear All,

For those that are currently working or have worked in Guangzhou, do any one know of possible support club/group for foreign teachers to gather on a regular base? I just arrived on Monday and would like to expand my social network and interact with more local teachers.

Most thankful for any further information Laughing
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no organised expat scene though many people meet in bars in the Huanshi Donglu area around the GARDEN HOTEL. I think the SPORTS BAR in Taojin Lu (behind the Friendship Store) is a popular watering-hole.
In a different area, LUCY'S BAR on SHAMIAN ISLAND is well patronised by teachers too.

You can try to get involved with the Chinese young that "want to practise " their oral English in a SALON run by GUANGZHOU DAILY. tThere are two such locations, one is in TIANHE, the other in the Dongshan area (but I may be mistaken about this one!). They offer you a free meal if you act as a MC, but you don't need to do that - just enter and watch (and listen to broken English).

I suggest you check out THAT'S GUANGZHOU online (www.thatsguangzhou.com), or pick up a free copy from a five-star hotel (Garden HotelBaiyun Hotel).

There is a school that organises get-togethers with expats, but I would have to check that out in THAT'S GUANGZHOU again!
Good luck, I live near, but not IN, Guangzhou! Interesting & big place!
noodles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

How about Shenzhen, is there a place where other teachers gather? It seems you are the man to ask. I have found my way to shekou where there is quite a large expat community but i am interested to know if there are other areas.
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Stephen,

in Shenzhen, it used to be some English Salon, but I forgot its proper name. It was located in Futian, some 200 m to the north of Shennan Xilu,
due north of the only McDonald's in that section of the road. I know my info is somewhat vague, but I haven't been there for years. Anyway, this Salon used to be held on Sunday afternoons and attracted quite a number of expats, and many more Chinese, of course.

SHENZHEN DAILY also runs some English Salon in their office building next to the city government, but I never fancied that one.

Real hangouts are rare in SZ - unlike in Shekou. Try the stadium. It used to have several bars and discoes, and they were heavily patronised by Hong Kongers as well as local expats.

Unfortunately, Shenzhen's HARDROCK CAFE in Diwang Plaza folded years before! That was a good place!
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: corrigendum! Reply with quote

Apologies to noodles for confusing his identy! Sorry!
Steven C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your advice on the meeting place. I rang the GZ Daily to find out about their English Conner and was told it has been cancelled.

Another neat place I found are the consulates, they have regular gathering every Friday night. I went to the Australia consulate last Friday and had a ball. A few of the guys I met up with told me about organized ruby game every Wednesday night at Tianhe Sport center.
Edward

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: GZ social club? This is Casablanca man! Reply with quote

Oh, we don't want to go and spoil GZ with a ...[look of dismay] Social group do we?

Only joking. But Guangzhou does have a bit of the "outlaw" feel to it when compared to the now glittering Shanghai, and the stale political city of Peking.

It is the city that wants to be something more than it is, but hopefully never will be. Did that make any sense?

What I mean is, Guangzhou is great because it IS dirty and gritty and still gives you all the perks of the big metropolis. Its floating population creates that "what IS Guangzhou exactly?" feel.

The foreigners do hang out around Garden Hotel area, but NOT at the Garden Hotel, thank god--too rich for my blood...

If you really want to get in group atmosphere, then I suggest [as someone else did] going to the Hillbar opposite Garden Hotel during the day time, 7 days a week. THey have cheap food and cheap drinks. Its probably the best place in the city to gather a few friends around, because it is centrally located and easy to get to. It is also the only place open during the day, so it attracts people because of that one reason.

Later, after 5PM, go to Elephant and Castle, just up the street. You can do a LOT of networking at both places. I regularly frequent them both, and have handed job information and contacts to a number of people that way...

[strokes chin]Maybe we SHOULD start something, but it should be really informal...

One note though; since the new semester has begun, AND I stopped drinking [oh that hurts to see those words] I rarely get out much...

Best of luck,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: