Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHina much better than South . I love china

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do Chinese people like foreigners more than Koreans
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Don't know
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Johnathan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: CHina much better than South . I love china Reply with quote

It is true that wages in China are generally lower than South Korea. But I find the people here are not in your face and so anti-western like Korea. They are also not so nouveau riche and have better manners towards foreigners at least where I live compared to Busan. I would also say that there are now many cities which have downtowns which are more interesting and pleasant than many South Korean cities. And things are really cheap here. For a change of pace if you really are getting worried about the security situation in Korea and the obnoxious anti-western sentiments then try China for a-while. And back home people know China counts so looks good on your backgroud. Time to possibly ditch Korea. They need you but don't want you and worry american culture is becoming too pervasive. China is culturally and militarily confident. growing faster than Korea by leaps and bounds wants you and needs you. Believe me it makes for better health all around even if the pollution may be worse in some cities though not all.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fascinating that total newcomers proclaim their undying love for a foreign country that their fellow countrymen a generation ago reviled!
But it is going too far when you say "I love..." this country or that country - love your own and like the rest of them! Making such statements is making political declarations! What next? "T.. is part of the Middle Kingdom?"

Your "love" is conditional, no matter how much you like it at the moment. Just wait and see! Shanghai and Peking are not representative of China. Xiantiandi in Shanghai is more like SoHo in Hong Kong, and that makes westerners forget Mongkok, or Hongqiao for that matter!
Stay with a Mongolian family in their yurt in a freezing winter night! Or pitch in on a farm in Shaanxi. Marvel at the survival skills of citi folks in Luzhou, Guangxi, or Shenyang, Liaoning!

In my memory, Seoul was not any different from most "modern" Chinese cities except that it was more scenic than any Chinese town I have seen.
Koreans never inconvenienced me with a silly "Hello!" followed by a rather stupid giggle. And they never touched me to see if my facial or other body hair was real!
But then, I was only a tourist. Even so, I picked up their anti-Western sentiments. So I did in China - first as a tourist (for over one year and a half), then as an expat living here (many more years).
Which proves that you can live here and feel alright.
But don't mistranslate your experience into a Heaven!

It is life just like anywhere else, and contrary to some expectations, it is not half as exotic as most believe. It is very pedestrian, polluted and overcrowded, and not too safe in some places, with no mitigating circumstances at all to compensate for what you give up in your own country!
What have been the rewards I have got here?
Salary, salary, salary - I have become a salarioman, and unlike some nnewbies, I have never been short-changed - quite a feat! I can live here comfortably, but so I could elsewhere too. I have witnessed changes and improvements to living here, and that is probably the greatest reward - the country is fast becoming "civilised".
wOZfromOZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well expressed Roger!
I agree wholeheartedly Idea

wOZfromOZ
arioch36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, love of new things is often conditional. I wanted to hate Shanghai, until I started going there. But if I went to other parts of Shanghai, maybe I would hate it?
I have not been to Korea. I had many foreign friends in America, but never cared for "the Korean" vibes. As much as I hate the "hellos" behind my back (if they are said to my face, mei you wenti, especially with the children), and I hate the occassional "I love English I want to be your good friend", my personal contact with Koreans has left me with no desire to go visit. I enjoy many of the Chinese people I know
So I'll vote thumbs down in your poll. Let American troops out of Korea, and then see where their moral superiority is. And if one country deserves the label "evil regime" it is North Korea.
arioch36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, From the sound of it , Teachers in Korea would vote the same way
Eight more messages needed to pass Roger. Insomnia is a wonderful gift
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Chris,
keep posting! Yours are a Godsend. I love to read them, each and every one, especially those which disagree with me in one point or another! YOur experience sometimes tenderises me again!
And, I have noted the decrease in China enthusiasm in your latest posts, but I would exhort you to persevere! After every turn or twist, totally new vistas open up! I am amazed how interesting life is here in spite of the routine to which I have had to grow used to!

Yes, Americans are leaving Korea in droves. Next the GI's. China must be Hawaii to them after Korea! I didn't particularly like or dislike Korea when I was there, but I definitely like some Chinese.
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Digression Reply with quote

Ah Roger, you must of detected my inner stuggle of ," am I to become a lifer" if I stay here longer. That, and ,"Am I abandoning Henan if I go to Shanghai". The questions many of us end up needing to deal with. Should I go to Saudi for a year to make some money? And how young is too young if I marry a Chinese girl?
An unexamined life is not worth living (I probably have that quote wrong)
Who knows who said it??? (several thousand years ago)
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Korea vs. China Reply with quote

Hola!

I have lived in Korea for 6 monthes before coming to China, so I can compare both places.

Chinese are friendlier than Koreans. But sometimes Chinese are too damned friendly and you want to be left alone walking down the street instead of people yelling "Hi, hello, what's your name" and all that.

Koreans drink a lot more booze than Chinese. But Chinese are more fun to get drunk with. Boozing in a bar in the PRC is expensive, but buying beer in a store is cheap (2-4RMB/35cents-50cents a quart of Tsingtao). Korean beer is good too and still not expensive.

Chinese students are nicer and more respectful than Korean students. This is not to say that Chinese students are not jerks, they are. But Chinese students are much easier to deal with.

In Korea, once you signed a contract, you ass belongs to the school. You cannot quit for the year. If you quit a school, you leave the country. Yes, your employer can give you a "letter of release", but I feel that few do. If you were an employer would you give a letter of release to someone who was quitting you?

Both in Korea and China taxes are a joke. In both Korea and China, housing is supposed to be provided. I don't live in school housing in China, I have my own place. Outside of Beijing, HK, and Shanghai rents are cheap. Taxis are cheap in both places, but China is better.

If you are religious, go to Korea. Jesus can live in your heart in China, but his house is hard to find.

Korean women are better looking that Chinese women, but Chinese women are nicer than Korean women. You can get a dark haired, beautiful tight rear ended Oriental woman in abundance in both locales.

Big clothes are much easier to find in Korea due to the American presence. Koreans are also bigger than Chinese so finding tall clothes is not too bad. Less than 2% of Chinese are big or tall. They are all 5'7" and weigh 148 lbs.

Hate to say it, money is better than Korea, but China is catching up, especially in the larger cities. The large cities of China are as modern as Korea. Both are polluted, with bad air.

Neither Koreans nor Chinese know how to operate a motor vehicle.

I hope to have been a help.

SENOR
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Senor wrote:
--Big clothes are much easier to find in Korea due to the American presence. Koreans are also bigger than Chinese so finding tall clothes is not too bad. Less than 2% of Chinese are big or tall. They are all 5'7" and weigh 148 lbs. --

You must be down south, Northern Chinese can get quite large. I'm somewhat large at 5'11" and 200 lbs. with a barrel chest. I'm stocky like Harvey Keitel but have no problems finding clothing for myself. There are plenty of Chinese around here who are larger than me. This part of China was occupied by the Monguls some hundreds of years ago so they're more mixed than southern Chinese. I've heard that Mongolians can be pretty large people. Anyway...
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: China vs. Korea Reply with quote

Having been to both. I'll compare my experiences:

Johnathan wrote:
It is true that wages in China are generally lower than South Korea. But I find the people here are not in your face and so anti-western like Korea. They are also not so nouveau riche and have better manners towards foreigners at least where I live compared to Busan. I would also say that there are now many cities which have downtowns which are more interesting and pleasant than many South Korean cities.

I like both China and Korea.
TRUE: China wages are lower than South Korea.
TRUE: Chinese are not so in your face as Koreans.
TRUE: Chinese better manners towards foreigners.
FALSE: There are now many cities which have downtowns which are more interesting and pleasant than many South Korean cities.

-- Korean cities are significantly better than Chinese cities.
Korean cities I know: Seoul, Busan, Daejeon, JinJu
Chinese cities I know: Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, Kunming, Tianjin

Maybe I haven't seen the best cities in China, but think Shanghai and Beijing would qualify?.. but they just don't compare in any way to Korean cities.. they aren't bad though.. but compared to Korea.. they lack Korea's transportation infrastucture, energy, convenience. Well, Chinese cities are okay. But anyhow, basicially, I just wouldn't say that in general Chinese cities are better than Korean cities. I quite enjoy Korean cities significantly more than any western city, or compared to most cities in the world. (Just my opinion though). Chinese cities are okay too though. Some are a little too spreadout, too much walking to go somewhere. Chinese cities on the average remind more of western cities in that you will definetely need a bike to get around. In Korea, everything is easily within a very short walking distance.

Johnathan wrote:
And things are really cheap here. For a change of pace if you really are getting worried about the security situation in Korea and the obnoxious anti-western sentiments then try China for a-while. And back home people know China counts so looks good on your backgroud. Time to possibly ditch Korea. They need you but don't want you and worry american culture is becoming too pervasive. China is culturally and militarily confident. growing faster than Korea by leaps and bounds wants you and needs you. Believe me it makes for better health all around even if the pollution may be worse in some cities though not all.

TRUE: Things are really cheap in China. They can be in Korea too. But cheaper in China - lower cost of living and wages as well.
FALSE: China or Korea regard to your resume. One does not 'look' better than the other.

The other stuff in regards to anti-western sentiment, etc.. I think you will get this in China. You will get this everywhere. Even westerners complain about the West. French complain about it, Chinese will complain about it too. Granted, Korea is significantly more western, and the more western you get, the more tendency you are to become aware of it more. China is still in the beginning processes if they will have frustrations with westernernization it hasn't sunk in yet.

China being more militarity and culturally confident. Hmm.. okay. Generally not the main reason people come from Korea to China though. If you've been in Korea for awhile, you know how exhausting it is to hear about a country's 'cultural confidence'.

China growing by leaps and bounds. Yes, very true. Kind of an exciting time to be in China.

China wants and needs you. Yes. English teachers are needed in both places. China is bigger and much less developed for teachers, so yes, the demand is in China as well. They both seem to need and want you though.

Better health in China than Korea? Hmm.. difficult to say. Maybe about the same overall. How do you really know?

Pollution... mmm.. worse in China.. significantly worse in China comparitively..

---------------------

Okay, Korea vs. China with Senor Boogie Woogie

Senor Boogie Woogie wrote:
Chinese are friendlier than Koreans. But sometimes Chinese are too damned friendly and you want to be left alone walking down the street instead of people yelling "Hi, hello, what's your name" and all that.

I also find Koreans to be annoying friendly as well. Generally, Koreans are more generally friendly. Chinese are more standoff-ish and indifferent at times. They are both friendly, but neither really has the social skills to be friendly to us in the way we are accustomed. Generally we want some to be friendly but not overdue it. Both can overdue it. Chinese do practice more English with you from a distance while you are walking down the street. I don't know if thats friendliness though. At least not the way I want people to be 'friendly'.

In general, I see so many more similarities than differences, many times I meet Chinese and they seem to at times have the exact same habits and patterns and ways of thinking as a Korean. Not always, but I see it from time to time, signficantly more that I'd like.

Koreans drink a lot more booze than Chinese. But Chinese are more fun to get drunk with. Boozing in a bar in the PRC is expensive, but buying beer in a store is cheap (2-4RMB/35cents-50cents a quart of Tsingtao). Korean beer is good too and still not expensive.

This is all TRUE. Koreans drink ALOT more!! By leaps and bounds!! Koreans however are not fun to get drunk with. Chinese are more fun. All of this is true. Overall, its more fun to drink in Korea though, because you have alot more single drinking women everywhere who would never dream of being a hooker. In China, generally, if I met a Chinese girl in the bar, there was always this looming question mark.. hmm.. hooker..

Chinese students are nicer and more respectful than Korean students. This is not to say that Chinese students are not jerks, they are. But Chinese students are much easier to deal with.

Chinese seem to have slightly better social skills.

In Korea, once you signed a contract, you ass belongs to the school. You cannot quit for the year. If you quit a school, you leave the country. Yes, your employer can give you a "letter of release", but I feel that few do. If you were an employer would you give a letter of release to someone who was quitting you?

TRUE! Koreans and their one-year contracts from hell. In my opinion, thats one of the worst aspects of Korea. They need to lighten up significantly on that one.

Both in Korea and China taxes are a joke. In both Korea and China, housing is supposed to be provided. I don't live in school housing in China, I have my own place. Outside of Beijing, HK, and Shanghai rents are cheap. Taxis are cheap in both places, but China is better.

TRUE. Although its pretty random where you live. Difficult to say if flats for teachers are generally better or worse in place or the other. Generally, I'd say its all about the same. Depends on situation and luck.

Korean women are better looking that Chinese women, but Chinese women are nicer than Korean women. You can get a dark haired, beautiful tight rear ended Oriental woman in abundance in both locales.

Korean women are stunning. Chinese varies considerably where in the country you go. Its hard to generalize about Chinese. Koreans are significantly easier to generalize. Koreans are signicantly taller, significantly thicker and healthier hair, significantly better teeth, and have model-like facial bone structures. Chinese are a big mix, but for the most part they lack the stunning beauty that Koreans naturally were born with. There are some stunners in China though, definetely. But Korea and Vietnam would both surpass it by leaps and bounds. However, that being said, Chinese are significantly more beautiful and attractive than if I were to go home to my home country.

The big difference is the men. Its hard to talk with girls in Korea because of the obnoxious men around. Whereas China lacks the obnoxious men, so if you are able to meet (and/or communicate) - communication is significantly easier in Korea. Anyhow, in general, in the bars or wherever, Chinese men will give you a chance to talk with the girls at the table, whereas Korean men (due to their exciteablity of having a foreigner present), generally will not give you a chance to talk to the pretty girl.

Big clothes are much easier to find in Korea due to the American presence. Koreans are also bigger than Chinese so finding tall clothes is not too bad. Less than 2% of Chinese are big or tall. They are all 5'7" and weigh 148 lbs.

TRUE. Chinese are noticeably shorter, not as short as the Japanese, but not as tall as the Koreans.

Hate to say it, money is better than Korea, but China is catching up, especially in the larger cities. The large cities of China are as modern as Korea. Both are polluted, with bad air.

TRUE. Money is significantly better in Korea.

In Summation:

Generally the problem with Korea is the men. While they are friendly, they are sometimes obnoxious and too in-your-face to a degree that makes it hard to be comfortable with them. But generally, their intentions are always good-hearted. If you let it though, it will drive you crazy.

Women, nightlife, and money would probably be better in Korea if you were to compare. But its not a contest, and you won't be missing out on anything if you chose China. In fact, you'd be just as happy there. Just depends. Basically money is the driving force for Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: