Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Differences between public/private/international schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astphard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Differences between public/private/international schools Reply with quote

I am interested in teaching abroad (probably junior high and younger, but if there's a country out there with exciteable high schoolers, I'd consider that too) and have some questions on the different schooling options available in foreign countries for these age groups (ie, public schools, private schools, and international schools). Here goes:

-What are the requirements to get hired at the different types of institutions (ie, ESL/EFL certification, years of experience, etc)?

-What are typical salaries for these institutions?

-What are typical schedules like (weekend work, vacations, how many hours a week)?

-What are the students like (discipline problems, quiet but studious, dead and never do anything, enthusiastic and focused)?

-How easy (or difficult) is it to get hired from abroad? If I do it from abroad, do I need to sign up with an agency?

Please let me know which country you are referring to, as I realize situations are usually very specific to the local area. Also, make sure you specify what type of school you're talking about.

Thanks!
astphard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Oops...a bit about me Reply with quote

I realized that some of you may have some questions about my background. I have a BA where I got certified to teach French in grades 5-12 (including a course teaching foreign languages which included ESL/EFL). By the time I would start teaching I will have a Master's in French lit. I'm a US native. I've had temporary experiences (summers or a semester) teaching Spanish and French to high schoolers, French in an immersion preschool, teaching English reading enrichment ages 5-adult, and volunteer experience tutoring an ESL adult in the US and experience as an assistant in an English classroom in France. So things to show an interest in the field, but no real full-time, permanent experience.

Also, I realize that most of my experience is foreign language teaching generally and not English foreign language, but I think it's still relevant (more than years of experience as an engineer or something like that).
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to know where you want to work (the general area). The world is a big place and you must have preferences.

Yes of course you qualify for int'l schools, but many of the schools may want you to teach French as that is what you're specialty is in.
astphard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Area of the world... Reply with quote

As I said, I'm open to anywhere in the world, but it seems as though there are the most opportunities in Asia (Japan, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, or other decent paying Asian countries). I don't need to get rich, but I'd rather not be dirt poor. I'd prefer to teach English, or English and French, but not French exclusively. If you have any other questions, just ask.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Japan, start here.
http://www.eltnews.com/guides/teaching/index.shtml
www.ohayosensei.com

For info on international schools in Japan, go here.
http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/international_schools.html

I wouldn't say high school students in Japan are "excitable", especially about learning English. Been teaching at a private high school for almost 2 years now. First year students are the most excitable. Second year students get so overwhelmed with club activities and college planning that they sink deep into a depression and lackadaisical attitude after the first month. Getting them to study any subject is a chore. Third year students spend only half the year studying, then they devote the rest of the year to taking entrance exams and planning for college, so by the time you finish half the year (around August), their attitude towards studying anything is at its lowest. At this time of year, they have already been accepted to the escalator schools. Discipline? We have 4 inspections per 6 months on the second year students' uniforms and hair (no dyeing allowed), but kids break the rules mere hours later without punishment. In fact, my school has no punishment unless there is some extreme rule broken.

If you want to get hired at a high school from abroad, I'd have to say forget it. If they accept an application, you will still have to fly here to interview (on your own expense account). This is one reason why many such places prefer someone who is already here. Less time to wait for applicants to come. More commitment (in their eyes). Plus, they usually want people with at least a year's experience teaching something, anything, in Japan. You can get hired as a PT or FT teacher directly, or as an ALT through a recruiting firm. A bachelor's degree will be sufficient in most cases, but you might find one that requires a master's. TEFL certification is not required in most cases, but I personally feel you should have it (or some real experience). Salaries for FT teachers at high schools may be as low as eikaiwas (250,000 yen/month) or up to about 300,000-400,000 yen/month. At my school, first year FT teachers do not get bonuses. As to schedules at my school, FT teachers have classes from 8:50 to 3:40 (one to five per day, 15-17 total per week), and we have to work every other Saturday. That usually means some kind of school-related event all day. You are required to sign up for some extracurricular activity, for which you likely get paid nothing but have to attend even if you have no expertise in it. I "assist" the archery club and know nothing about it; my experience consists of attending a few tournaments to serve as babysitter and cheerleader, and to sit quietly during a couple of practices a month. Other assistants may have to go to practice every day after 3:40. The vast majority of teachers at my school stay until at least 7pm every day. You have 4-6 meetings per week, all in Japanese and with no translation unless you sit next to some kind person who can do it. Schedules change monthly. Events make a mockery out of providing consistency in classes because they not only give us days off, but they often allow the players to have excused absences (sports comes first here).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: