Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rome vs Madrid or Italy vs Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olympian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Rome vs Madrid or Italy vs Spain Reply with quote

Can anyone give me a comparison between the two, as far as ESL teaching is concerned??

Cheers
dduck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Spain I think they speak Spanish, can't remember what they speak in Italy.

Hope you get some sensible replies Wink

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Italy versus Spain Reply with quote

There is more red tape in Italy. If you don't have work papers finding a job in Italy is difficult.

Spain you also need work papers but there is a more flexible attitude and many Americans work in Spain 'under the table.' The pay is not very good in both countries- most language schools only pay around 800 to 1000 Euros a month for someone working a standard 20-25 hour week. Rents are high in Italy and Spain with Italy even more expensive. In Spain the cheapest flats you can get go for about 350 Euros. a month but these are unfurnished and not in the best parts of town.

Culture wise there are similarities with the outdoor cafe life and street life.

In Spain there is work in the big cities but a lot of competition. Less foreigners choose to teach ESL in Italy for the afore mentioned reasons.

Quality of life is high in both countries and this is why many foreigners stay despite the poor pay. Both languages are easy to learn, certainly more easy than Turkish where I am teaching now.

Ironically Turkey has some of the best 'deals' in Europe for ESL teachers with packages that include flights, free accommodation, fixed hours (no splits), free food in the school cafes, and around 1000 dollars U.S. as base pay for a starting teacher. But the Ministry of Education in Turkey is beginning to enforce a policy of only giving work permits to 'qualified' teachers....but all of that is another story. I would rather work in Spain and Italy but the remuneration is so poor there...bla, bla...
avahanian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rome vs Madrid or Italy vs Spain Reply with quote

Olympian wrote:
Can anyone give me a comparison between the two, as far as ESL teaching is concerned??

Cheers

hi Olympian,

that's a very good question. In both countries the pay is similar, though in Italy you can make a bit more (but then again cost of living is higher).

There is more red tape in Italy, but believe it or not that works to your advantage. Right now, you are more likely to get harrassed in Spain than in Italy.

Because the Italian authorities themselves aren't sure about many of the laws (which have not been updated since the Roman times). There are more foreigners in Italy, and the authorities are much more concerned with the Albanians or North Africans....they could care less about Aussies or Americans or Brits.

The rent is more expensive in Italy, but mind you the rents in Madrid and Barcelona are catching up. Going out costs the same...food is very cheap in both countries.

Spain has better weather....Italy has a better location in Europe

It's very difficult to choose between the two, they are both fantastic places to live.

But if you care more about earning money and having job stability, Japan is the better choice.

If you don't care about not being able to save money and you absolutely must work in Spain or Italy, go for it !
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the people differnet between Italians and Spaniards?
Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I'd say the weather was better in Spain. Both countries have a range to both extremes, so it depends on what floats your boat. When I lived in Sicily, for example, the temperature in summer went up to the mid-forties, a range where the roads melt and I became very glad of the ice-cream sandwiches sold for breakfast... Right now, where I live in Spain is literally freezing (especially in my flat), but summer is lovely.

As for differences, people are people. At the risk of offending some, however, and with the disclaimer that I have both Italian and Spanish friends, I've experienced Italians to be more vain, superficial and less fun than the Spanish. Furthermore, the school I work for in Spain is more professional than the one I worked for in Italy, but one school in each country is hardly conclusive (and my anecdotes are likely different to yours, right?).
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse, I do appreciate the honest response. I'm interested in both places - but ultimately I'm interested in Spain because I like South American people, so you've confirmed I'm going to the right place (beyond the spanish language thing).
avahanian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
How are the people differnet between Italians and Spaniards?

This is a very very general question, and I don't want to generalise, but I can tell you personally that it takes longer to become friends with Italians.

Also, don't expect every Italian person to smile at you and help you with everything you need....it is very difficult to enter the social circle of many Italians. This goes for Spanish people too.

But there are many Italians out there who will shock you with their kindness, and do things for you you'd never imagine anyone would do.

But one good thing is, if you make an Italian friend, he/she will be a friend for life. I can't say the same for the Spaniards.

My opinion is that both the Spaniards and the Italians are generally friendly, and tolerant of foreigners.

But if you want the nicest people in Europe, it is by far.....the Dutch !

this is another matter entirely...

cheers
avahanian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Not sure I'd say the weather was better in Spain. Both countries have a range to both extremes, so it depends on what floats your boat. When I lived in Sicily, for example, the temperature in summer went up to the mid-forties, a range where the roads melt and I became very glad of the ice-cream sandwiches sold for breakfast... Right now, where I live in Spain is literally freezing (especially in my flat), but summer is lovely.

Hi mouse,

You're right, both countries do have extremes, but I found the air to be cleaner in Spain....the pollution in large Italian cities is incredible, especially in the summer.

Add the fact that many Italians don't even think twice about vandalising national monuments or dumping rubbish on the street, and you get an idea of just how polluted large Italian cities can get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: