Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interested in Thailand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Interested in Thailand. Reply with quote

Hola!

I am interested in coming to Thailand, possibly as an ESL teacher in 2004. To ask very broad questions, what is the country like? What is like to teach there in the language schools? Is Thailand fun?

I picture Thailand as a poor tropical Asian nation with beautiful beaches, a unique history and a lot of Buddhist wats and temples. The people there are usually small in stature with extremely long names, such as "Nithsan Sinthamphamone" and what not. I know the money that a foreigner makes in ESL is about what is made in China (pitiful). I do read ww.ajarn.com sometimes about the happenings there.

Are the students and/or parents complete tight a s s e s like they are in Vietnam and Japan, making their teachers wear ties everyday? To me, ties are for jobs that pay real money, besides, I hate ties with a passion.

I have been to Laos, which to me is probably the "poor man's Laos". Laos, except for the grass is probably the most boring country I have been to. It is too clean and too quiet for my taste. I like hordes of people, funk, filth, women, bad driving and lunacy mixed with cool people in a good environment. This is why I like China.

Any info is appreciated.

SENOR
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: You'll have to wear a tie Reply with quote

Sorry. The image of teachers is important in Thailand. You will have to wear trousers, long-sleeve shirt and tie.

For filth, bad driving and hordes of people, stay in Bangkok. "Women" are everywhere aren't they? They are half the human population after all. But of course, you mean easy scores. I guess you can stay in Bangkok for that too. There are many cheap prostitutes for western tourists available. If you want to delude yourself that there are "liberated" college girls running around just dying to sleep with you with no strings, be prepared to pay the price for those as well. Thailand is a poor country, remember? Almost any woman that shows interest in a hairy falang is interested in getting the hell out of Thailand, so be wary.

The food is excellent. The beaches are beautiful but polluted with trash and tourists. The Wats are interesting if you learn about Thai history first. If you like outdoors camping and trekking you'll almost never run out of things to do if you live outside Bangkok. But you'll have to put up with small-town mentality.

Some people say Thai is easier to learn than Chinese. It has an alphabet.

Have fun.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But of course, you mean easy scores.

Actually, I believe the Senor is married. Wink
ZIA!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senor,

Image is very important here in Thailand and yes! (in most cases you must wear that dreaded tie... like I must wear a bra...LOL) At my particular bilingual school men can wear a traditional "thai style" shirt that is not tucked in and skip the tie...but for most everywhere else...they want you to hang that fabric around your neck.

Bangkok is the place for you if you like all the things you say you like. The wages are not high, but if you do not feel the urge to support a G/F on a regular basis or are careful how you budget for it you can save some money here......That will mean living a "normal" life. Not toooo much time in the bars in the falang areas....In the thai areas it is cheaper and the drinks are the same...but music does not please everyone...

Not having to have a fix of western food all the time...expensive....but after living in Mexico and in Taiwan....I can say that Thailand is lin some ways like an Asian version of Mexico....

Alas, currently they are cracking down on some of the free wheeling play it loose games that have been going on for years here...this means...not a good time to come without a degree and credentials...DON'T use a visa service to extend your tourist visa if you come....etc....

People wise...I like it here....much warmer than Taiwan.....at least if nothing else, people will look at you and smile....that's better than some places I have been.

Pick your school as best you can and remember there is not a paradise country for teaching anywhere in the world....All have problems as most people know.

I would agree with working vacation about observations of life in Thailand.

Besos y abrazos Wink
hagakuri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

ZIA! Nice to hear that you are adjusting to Thailand nicely. I am sure the rain is making good use of your unmbrella these days. Enjoy your month long holiday! <evil grin>.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: