Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milton Keynes Language Centre
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrifty

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Milton Keynes Language Centre Reply with quote

We are looking for people with teaching experience and preferably a teaching qualification where possible. We are also prepared to consider those who would like to start a teaching career and have the enthusiasm and 'can do' attitude.

MKLC

Typical
sprightly

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have any experience with them, or just laughing at the open-endedness of the ad?

i'm of a mind to apply there, but it looks part-time.
thrifty

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me that they will produce the most beautiful glossy brochures and websites and do everything they can to promote professionalsim except for the teachers.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrifty

Come on you should know the teacher is of little importance !
thrifty

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, I should know.

But why?
dannypoet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Milton Keynes unforuntely, and I'd never go back. I can't really imagine there being a language school there. I can't remember ever meeting a non-white Brit in 16 years! Still I suppose its near London and has lots of roundabouts and shops if you like that sort of thing!
Will.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has changed greatly since you left .

I regularly went there to assess canididates on speaking exams at MK college.

I went there A LOT

There is definitely room for a few new teachers of ESOL/EFL tht's probably why someone has set up a language school.

Why am I not surpridsed that experience is not a necessary criterai for application?
lolwhites

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a qualification, even a Cert, is "preferable", and "enthusiasm" can make of for "experience"?

Why didn't they just say "no experience or qualifications required"?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that they don't use one of the Govt schemes for keeping the unemployed off the streets. YOP's it was or YTS. Different name now probably.

This shows the reality of TEFLing in the UK.

If you are outside the UK and thinking of going back, be warned. Better to train for window-cleaning !
lolwhites

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we might not see more ads like this in the future. After all, now that graduates come out of university thousands of pounds in debt, they're hardly going to be enthusiastic about the "rewards" of TEFL in the UK. I didn't even start clearing my students debt till I got out of the private sector - 250 quid p.w. doesn't leave much for the Student Loans Company.

The question is how will the language schools react? Will they go upmarket to attract people with degrees, or start employing anyone willing to "give it a go"? If the above ad is anything to go by, I think we know the answer....
lolwhites

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you scroll down the recruitment section of their website, it says:

MKLC provide booklets and a course outline for the CBLC course, however we do ask tutors to add activities and materials to aid cultural learning, as well as owning a tape recorder for listening exercises and taping oral assessments

OK so we've all developed our own materials in the past, but don't MKLC have enough tape recorders to go around? I never had to work somewhere where I had to provide my own cassette deck!
sheeba

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for MKLC. They were Ok but I guessed some politics going on with the college I was working at and the agency. It was difficult to get things done sometimes but I got there in the end. As for the tape recorder - I used my own . You'd better buy some board pens too if you're working there. Don't know why you'd expect a red carpet anyway .

At the end of the day I had a class of students, a room and 6 hours of work a day which I got paid for at the end. I wasn't expecting much more than that. Was fine. In China I get a class of students but they also give me a stack of chalk - Now we're talking perks Smile

As for MK. the place is nearly as bland as my city here in China. I'd hate to live there. Mind you come xmas time I might nip down there whilst in England . They have a good Marks and Spencer's and shopping centre.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm too demanding, but at the very least I would expect to be provided with board pens and a tape player. The red carpet I can just about manage without, at a push.
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiousity as I havbe no intention of going to MK, how much were you paid per hour Sheeba?

As Will said above, FE colleges pay better: I was PT on about �25 an hour without a great deal of experience, but the killer is the bureaucracy and paperwork. I have no problems with differentiating between students, but trying to record and prove it and note each element of language you teach with a separate code was a real pain. If I wanted to use ruddy codes I could have gone back to IT and earned 4 times as much.
sheeba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 squid an hour Sue. Agency took the other 10 I guess. sigh Rolling Eyes

Some other geezer sorted all the timesheets out and all the paperwork.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: