Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Reply with quote

It�s true, jobs advertised rarely ask for German knowledge. As already said, it�s a good idea to learn. Apart from the obvious reasons mentioned (and I�ll add Auslanderbehorde - Foreign Nationals Authority - staff speak almost no English), let�s have one or two more:

Last week, I heard a teacher explaining the �p.s.� at the end of letters/faxes/e-mails. After five minutes of English and Latin, one of the more vocal students pointed out that they too use �p.s.�. It�s exactly the same in German, as are many words. If you�re explaining vocabulary which is identical in German, your smiling and nodding students will soon wonder why they bothered turning up.

If I sound like a know-it-all, here�s a story: Earlier this week, a company contacted me. After bad experiences with schools, one franchise in particular, they wanted a genuine freelance teacher, i.e. no school or middle men. As companies normally pay 35-40 Euro per 45 minutes, I was only too keen to pop along for a chat. They conducted our meeting entirely in German, not even a �Sprechen Sie Deutsch?�, to begin. I�m reasonably fluent, i.e. I understand 95% and can have any conversation but I know I make mistakes and struggle for some words. Anyway, I didn�t get that contract, and I�d spent a lot of time preparing. Maybe another teacher was cheaper, better, more handsome, I don�t know. I really believe, however, that my German was a factor.

If you want to work at a franchise getting 13 Euro an hour, zero German is OK. The better jobs expect some German knowledge. Finally, if you�d like to live well and save a bit through finding your own work, make a big effort to learn the language. Human Resources, whom you�d be dealing with, just won�t take you seriously if you can�t string a German sentence together. In any case, such staff rarely speak to non-Germans and may have almost non-existent English.

Enough negativity. Let�s get POSITIVE. It won�t take that long to get �fluent�. Pointless comment but - it�s a good idea to learn German before coming. Saying that, unless you have German-speaking friends, you won�t get much practice. You�ll learn more efficiently when here surrounded by Germans. So, learn the very basics at home then come here and continue. But where?

Inlingua, Berlitz, etc, will give you a nice book, a German teacher and a bill for several hundred Euro, nein danke. The Goethe Institut is considered to be the best place. Unfortunately, it�s pricey and in many cities, they only offer full-time courses during working hours.

So, a cheap alternative: Do an evening class at your local VHS (Volkshochschule � an adult�s school). A 60-hour course should cost around 70 Euro. The quality of VHS teachers varies, but in any case, it�s a great way to meet new people.

As well as the VHS, my local Goethe Institut arranges a TANDEM scheme. They find you a German who wants to practice English, in turn you get to speak lots of German to him/her. It�s free.

Don�t be like me � learn good German and get those contracts.
Sad
Mariana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in or near a university town, it might also be worthwhile dropping into the local Auslaenderamt and asking about enrolling onto a DaF course at the uni as a Gaststudierender. I've done that both in Passau and in Erlangen, and the teachers have been great both times. Plus, German universities are good places to advertise for language exchange partners. In Passau, I didn't even need to advertise - plenty of German students had already got there before me. All I had to do was respond to their ads.
dannypoet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod, I know this post is from ages ago )and you probably dont even post here anymore) but just wanted to say thanks. Some really good advice here.
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Saying that, unless you have German-speaking friends, you won�t get much practice.

Try getting a German student in te US to speak to you in German. Many of them will be like, we are in America, now we must speak English.
Deicide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Naja... Reply with quote

Ich weiss nicht, wie wichtig es ist, Deutsch fliessend zu koennen, wenn es sich um einen Posten als freiberuflichen Englischlehrer handelt. Sicher koennte Fluessigkeit in der Sprache behilflich sein, aber ich bin zweisprachig und diese Tatsache hat mir nie grossartig beim Arbeitsuchen geholfen. Kommunikationsschwierigkeiten werden um einiges vermindert, aber das ist ja klar. Schliesslich musste ich DL verlassen, weil ich im falschen Land geboren bin, und das, Freunde, ist wahrlich Scheisse. Meine Empfehlungen fuers Deutschlernen sind einfacher und pragmatischer Natur und zwar musst Du folgendes machen: hole Dir eine deutsche Frau bzw. einen deutschen Mann, denn es gibt wirklich keinen Ersatz fuer das Deutsch, das man inmitten eines Beziehungsstreites lernt und das ist kein Witz. Sprachkurse sind viel zu teuer und meiner Ansicht nach auch eine voellige Zeitverschwendung. Kaufe Dir lieber ein Grammatikbuch und Woerterbuch und dann REDEN, REDEN, REDEN...und stelle sicher, dass Du den richtigen Reisepass hast, d.h. EUland... Wink
SaraLF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: good advice Reply with quote

Is it possible to get a job making less while you are learning German? This is really good advice, thank you Smile
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Naja... Reply with quote

Deicide wrote:
Ich weiss nicht, wie wichtig es ist, Deutsch fliessend zu koennen, wenn es sich um einen Posten als freiberuflichen Englischlehrer handelt. Sicher koennte Fluessigkeit in der Sprache behilflich sein, aber ich bin zweisprachig und diese Tatsache hat mir nie grossartig beim Arbeitsuchen geholfen. Kommunikationsschwierigkeiten werden um einiges vermindert, aber das ist ja klar. Schliesslich musste ich DL verlassen, weil ich im falschen Land geboren bin, und das, Freunde, ist wahrlich Scheisse. Meine Empfehlungen fuers Deutschlernen sind einfacher und pragmatischer Natur und zwar musst Du folgendes machen: hole Dir eine deutsche Frau bzw. einen deutschen Mann, denn es gibt wirklich keinen Ersatz fuer das Deutsch, das man inmitten eines Beziehungsstreites lernt und das ist kein Witz. Sprachkurse sind viel zu teuer und meiner Ansicht nach auch eine voellige Zeitverschwendung. Kaufe Dir lieber ein Grammatikbuch und Woerterbuch und dann REDEN, REDEN, REDEN...und stelle sicher, dass Du den richtigen Reisepass hast, d.h. EUland... Wink

Three years on, my German remains woeful. The above, however, appears to contain references to infanticide and must be deleted forthwith.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: